This episode the tables are turned. Previous guest Melissa Maker from Clean My Space interrogates me on how I started my speaking business and the real nuts and bolts on how to become a professional public speaker.
In this episode we’ll dive deep on how to become a professional public speaker and build your speaking business, we cover:
- How I started in marketing and in public speaking
- The pro’s and cons of employing an agency (or a speaker’s bureau)
- How I construct a keynote presentation
- Why I employed two stand up comedians to help me hone my skills
- How and why I’ve delivered the same keynote over 150 times
- The technical AV gear I use and recommend.
- What you need to spend money on if you’re serious about making money with public speaking
- What is a showreel and why it’s so important
- Some tips on building your showreel
- Why I make friends with AV guys
- How to find out what to charge for a speaking gig
- How to prepare for a speaking gig
- The ‘1 per centers’ that I have incorporated into my speaking business
- We also discussed my most challenging gig and how to roll with the punches
Also, some exciting news about Thankyou’s Chapter 1 Campaign and I’ll let you in on my experiences in getting some new headshots, let me say I have a whole new appreciation for models.
Yep, it’s a pretty big show, so pen and paper at the ready as you listen to this week’s episode of Australia’s top small business marketing show.
So let’s get stuck, right in.
00:28 Welcome & overview
07:15 Guest introduction – Me! Tim Reid of timreid.com.au
08:18 Interview – Part 1
28:45 Insights into Netregistry & Key Person Of Influence
31:14 Interview – Part 2
01:12:49 Marketing Quote
01:13:30 Wrap-up & insights into next week’s guest
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
Buy Timbo’s new marketing text book The Boomerang Effect
MY TOP 3 THINGS TO DO TO START A SPEAKING BUSINESS
- Craft your keynote – get that content down and find out how to deliver it in a really engaging way.
- Start looking at other speakers to see how they are doing it. Pull out the good and the bad and figure out how to own your own space.
- You’ve got to spend money, speaker’s website, showreel, stylist, graphic designer.
EPISODE SPONSORS (PLEASE SUPPORT THEM)
Netregistry Exclusive Listener Offers
Get your online marketing sorted. Websites from $79 / month.
Register for a Key Person Of Influence Business Brand Accelerator Live Event
8-hours of business-changing content. No BS.
Choose a FREE audiobook from 180,000 title
What are you up for? Business? Horror? Romance? It’s all here.
INSPIRATIONAL MARKETING QUOTE
Rosabeth Kanter once said …
“It takes as much metal energy to dream small as it
does to dream big, so …you might as well dream big!”
OVER TO YOU
What was your biggest marketing learning pr ah-ha moment from today’s epsidoe?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to have and every one.