Rowdy McLean avoided becoming a potato farmer and decided to play a bigger game. As a young bloke he worked for Telstra (Australia’s biggest telco) and then resigned at 24 to go in to direct competition to them. And it paid off big time. Ten years later he sold his business for squillions, and now is one of the world’s leading motivational speakers on how to play a bigger game. Be sure to hit Rowdy up on Twitter.
Plus I share some key learnings from my recent attendance at Content Marketing World in Sydney.
During my fireside chat with Rowdy McLean, you’ll discover:
- The fundamentals of doing business
- What playing a bigger game means
- What happens if the inside of your business is growing faster than the outside of your business
- What focussed constant improvement is
- How Rowdy McLean avoided becoming a potato farmer, and instead played a bigger game
- Why we should pay more attention to how incredible we are
- Why anything is possible
- Why having a written charter is critical
- What Rowdy learnt upon graduating from the Disney Institute
- Being amazing is not as hard as you think it is
- Business should be hard, fun, interesting and exciting
- An exercise any small business can do to play a bigger game
- What a dream stealer is and how to get rid of them
Yep, it’s another big show. Let’s get stuck right into episode 231 of Australia’s #1 marketing podcast. Go!
- 00:30 Welcome and overview of today’s episode
- 01:58 My insights from my time at Content Marketing World
- 07:29 A little sponsor love for Netregistry & 99Designs
- 09:39 Checking in on your week
- 10:52 I introduce today’s guest Rowdy McLean
- 45:28 My top 5 learnings from my interview with Rowdy
- 48:53 Motivational marketing quote of the week
- 49:48 Wrap-up and insight into next week’s guest
Today’s Episode Sponsors (please support them)
Resources & links mentioned in this episode
- Rowdy McLean’s official website
- Joshua Nichols interview from Platinum Electricians
- Need a marketing speaker? Book keynote speaker Tim Reid.
Tweetables – Share The Love
My Top 5 Marketing Tips from my chat with Rowdy McLean:
- Stop hiding in the background of life and play a bigger game
- Commit to focussed constant improvement by selecting one thing that you can change right now
- We’re all amazing – we need to acknowledge this much more often
- Have a set of charters for everyone in your business to follow
- Get rid of the dream stealers. Now!
Inspirational Marketing Quote of the Week
“If we want more motivation in our lives, we must make clearer choices and more deeply commit to them.”
Brendan Burchard, The Motivation Manifesto
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.