Four years ago (at age 22) George Ryan was working full time (55 hours a week) for a lumber yard, making $10/hour to provide for his wife and daughter, and had no sort of higher education. He decided he hated his job, and intentionally set out to start an internet company. Four years later, still with no sort of formal education, he now has a thriving business in Hatchwise and make six figures. On top of all that, Hatchwise has been featured in articles twice in Inc. Magazine over the past two years. Nice!
Also, if it’s of interest to you, here’s my list of questions I had prepared for my interview with George (I’ve had a few listeners as about how I prep sho here’s your chance to look over my shoulder ;0)
- You’ve an interesting background – at 22 with a wife and daughter you worked full-time in a lumberyard for $10 / hour – no higher education THEN intentionally set out to start an Internet company. Tell us about this journey.
- Tell us about that point when you decided “I’m outta here!”
- What do you feel when you reflect back on that time?
- What’s your advice for anyone trapped doing what they hate?
STARTING A BUSINESS FROM NOTHING
- Hatchwise operates in a crowded marketplace – Where did the idea for it come from?
- Can you wrap some numbers around it? Logos designed, designers, clients, revenues, staff, pageviews, rankings.
- You’ve got some strong views on running a small business. What are they?
- You say you’ve never advertised BUT what marketing have you done to build Hatchwise?
- What role does outsourcing play? How do you do it?
Hatchwise Coupon Code:
George has kindly offered a discount for Small Business Big Marketing listeners to use Hatchwise:
Just enter the coupon code theideasguypodcast to recieve $10 off the contest listing fee and free “Designer Notification” upgrade (Hatchwise will email their list of designers promoting your project). Total value of $35. Happy days!
Links & Resources Mentioned In This Episode.
Netregistry – Check out these three exclusive packages for SBBM Listeners. Each one designed by myself and Netregistry to help get your online marketing sorted.
Here’s my new website promoting me as a marketing keynote speaker.
Here’s where to join the Small Business Big Marketing Meetup group.
Join the marketing discussion beyond my podcast …
For in-depth marketing discussion, join the Small Business Big Marketing LinkedIn Group.
See the lighter side of marketing on the Small Business Big Marketing Facebook Page.
Receive small business marketing tips on the Small Business Big Marketing Twitter feed.
Leave a review for Small Business Big Marketing in iTunes. It’s a rankings thing ;0)
I’ve personally created these marketing training products in response to listener feedback …
Site Boost – Discover the characteristics of a successful website.
Spotlight – I create an exclusive podcast episode solving the marketing challenges of your business.