Peter Hitchener is one of Australia’s most loved and respected TV newsreaders. Think a chivalrous version of Ron Burgundy! He’s spent his entire career in the media, and has been the chief newsreader for Channel 9 since 1998. He received the Order of Australia medal earlier this year for his services to the broadcast media and the community, and is an active supporter of a number of charities.
Now I know what you’re thinking. Pete’s not a business owner, Timbo … and you always interview business owners. Well, you’re right, but that doesn’t mean we can’t learn from him.
What fascinates me about Pete is that he’s 71 years old, and is not only using social media effectively, he’s using ALL social media effectively. How I found this out was via my 17 year old daughter, who was having a laugh at the dinner table a few weeks ago about the fact that Peter Hitchener is massive on Snapchat … and all her girlfriends love him! She showed me what he as doing, and I thought it was pure genius.
So, if you’re keen to up your presence and engagement on social media, then listen in as Australia’s most popular TV newsreader takes us behind-the-scenes of his love affair with social media.
Watch Peter Hitchener Live Interview
Chatting with Channel 9’s Peter Hitchener about how and why he loves social media
Posted by Tim Reid on Monday, August 14, 2017
But the marketing gold doesn’t stop there, in this episode you’ll also discover:
- Resident techspert Dale Beaumont from 52 Ways shares a great way to create professional looking mock-ups of your marketing materials
- I share another low cost marketing idea that will help you manage unhappy customers
- And we go back into The Small Business Big Marketing Show’s vault, revisiting a past interview with LA concierge to the stars Steve Sims who shares a great referral marketing idea
Here’s what caught my attention from chatting with Channel Nine’s Peter Hitchener:
- No matter how successful you are, stay humble. Being Australia’s #1 newsreader, Peter is at the absolute top of his game; yet he remains humble, grateful and ridiculously accessible. I think it’s so ugly when I meet a successful person and they exude arrogance.
- Pete hasn’t put a huge amount of thought into how he strategically uses each social media channel. I loved how he responded to my question about which video streaming service (Periscope or Facebook Live) he would have used if he’d streamed this interview, and he responded “Both!” I think too many business owners over engineer their social media approach, and as a result do nothing. Do something, see what works for you and your audience, and take it from there! I’ll include a link in the shownotes to a blog post I wrote about how to use social media to take people behind-the-scenes of you business.
- If you look through Pete’s posts across all the channels he uses, he can often be seen promoting other people and their businesses. This can only help endear him to others – and get him a whole lot more shares from those people he chooses to profile.
Links & Resources mentioned:
- Peter Hitchener’s official website
- Peter Hitchener on Facebook
- Peter Hitchener on Twitter
- Peter Hitchener on Instagram
- Peter Hitchener on Snapchat
- How to create simple mock-up for your marketing materials
- 3 steps to conducting an effective exit interview
- Interview with Bluefish’s Steve Sims on referral marketing
Please support these businesses who make this show possible:
Dale Beaumont’s 52 Ways – An amazing free 1-day live event for business owners where you’ll discover 52 ways to boost your business profits. Seats are limited. Book now.
Open Universities Australia – When was the last time you learnt something that could propel your business forward? Outside of listening to this show, and thank-you for that, your answer may well be “Not in a very long time, Timbo!” That’s cool, but maybe it’s time that changed. Check out Open Universities’ online courses over at Open.edu.au. Someone’s gotta be the smartest in your industry – so it may as well be you!
If some thing in this episode of Australia’s favourite marketing podcast peaked your interest, then let me know. Leave your thoughts below.
May your marketing be the best marketing.
Want to subscribe to The Small Business Big Marketing Show?
Subscribe FREE on iTunes or Android