A quick search reveals that the weight loss industry is worth $71 billion in America alone. And when you think about it, it’s gotta to be one of the most competitive and emotionally-charged industries in the world. But that hasn’t stopped two ex-Google employees from turning their weight loss side hustle into a multi-million dollar business. It’s an all-you-can’t-eat episode 534 of The (11 year-old, award-winning) Small Business Big Marketing podcast.
Big Episode Today
- Weight-loss algorithm creators Jade Spooner and Amal Wakim share how their side hustle has become a multi-million dollar business.
- This week’s Monster Prize Draw winner likes to have lunch with me down by the beach!
- Plus I’ve got some big news on a big guest who’ll be joining us in a few week’s time.
A Little More About Equalution’s Jade Spooner & Amal Wakim …
Jade Spooner and Amal Wakim escaped their cubicles from inside of Google where they’d developed enough knowledge to create their own algorithm. One that uses science-based nutrition along with a bunch of personal data to help the average Joe or Joanne(!) lose a stack of weight.
The result is called Equalution and their weight-loss program is delivered via a very clever little app.
And since 2015, tens of thousands have joined the Equalution community and lost thousands of kilograms combined.
The girls now have 22 staff and a social media following in the high hundreds of thousands.
We cover everything from managing your side hustle, to what they learnt from Google, to doing business with friends and everything in between.
I started off by asking Jade what she was doing at Google in between bringing her side hustle to life!.
Timbo’s Top 3 Attention Grabbers
- I love how the girls initially reached out to high profile influencers who they thought may be dealing with a weight issue. Brave but clearly it worked out.
- I love how Jade refers to marketing as “the vocals of a business”.
- I love how they handle honest conversations with each other by acting on issues immediately.
Last Week’s Episode of The Small Business Big Marketing Podcast
Monster Prize Draw Winner
Ian Harvey of the job-matching platform Hello Talent.
Thanks for tuning in. May your marketing be the best marketing.