Michael Gerber (author of The eMyth, once voted the best-selling business book of all time) says the vast majority of small business owners are on a fool’s errand. And he’s on a mission to turn them from a bogged down company of one, to an absolutely brilliant company of one thousand. It’s a very repeatable episode 467 of The (award-winning) Small Business Big Marketing Show thanks to American Express.
A little bit more about The E Myth Revisited’s Michael Gerber …
This is an interview I did with Michael Gerber way back on episode 338. It’s been so popular and had so much positive feedback that I thought I best bring it back to the top of the pile for those of you who haven’t heard it, or even if you have, then it’s probs time to hear it again!
Michael Gerber is the author of the seminal business book called The eMyth. You’ve read The eMyth right?! How’s this for some key stats:
- 5 million copies sold
- In 2011, The eMyth was named the best selling business book of all time
- It’s been sold in 145 countries, translated into 29 languages and taught in 118 universities
- His client list includes the best of the best – Apple, Infusionsoft, American Express … to name a few … but his true passion is small business owners.
- INC magazine calls him “The world’s #1 small business guru”
Michael has a dream to transform the state of small business worldwide. He’s been doing that for the last 40-years, and at the time of this interview, he was about to launch his newest book titled Beyond The eMyth.
Here’s just a couple of lines from it:
“Great growing companies know how to replicate their success, time after time after time, and by doing so, they grow, grow, grow. This book is going to teach you how to do that. This book is going to teach you how to design, build, grow and launch your company so that it can scale, which means that you can replicate its success. Which in turn means that it possesses the ability to grow like crazy … from a company of one, to a company of one thousand.”
Here’s what caught my attention from my chat with The E Myth Revisited’s author Michael Gerber:
- Read The eMyth and The eMyth Revisited!
- The idea of sitting down and asking yourself what your new company would look like based on Michael’s eMyth model sounds like a worthwhile exercise.
- Don’t be afraid to have a dream.
Michael Gerber Interview Transcription
So I started off by asking him what’s missing in the way most businesses are run.
That’s a great question, Tim. I want my answer provocative as it may seem is just about everything. Just about anything and everything that has to be done isn’t being done. And if it’s being done it’s being done for the wrong reason and being done in the wrong way. And that sounds as I say provocative but it’s so true. So I’ve been in this business world you might say of small business for 40 years. It was an afterthought. I didn’t start this until I was 41. So you understand before that I wasn’t even interested in business.
- Michael Gerber’s official website
- Buy The E Myth Revisited
- Buy Why Marketing Works here
- Buy Steve Sims Bluefishing : The Art of Making Things Happen here
- Interview with Canberra Airport owner Stephen Byron
- Interviews I’ve done with extraordinary business owners:
- Winner of this week’s Monster Prize Draw is David Noble of Oz Drug Testing.
Please support the following businesses who make this show possible:
Let your business expenses reward you. Every year.
Australia’s Internet isn’t great. That’s why Switchnode exist. The solution is here and it’s wireless.
If something in this episode of Australia’s favourite marketing podcast peaked your interest, then let me know by leaving a comment below.
May your marketing be the best marketing.