Paul Medeiros (and his wife) made a brave sea change by leaving corporate and buying the Mullumbimby Fruit Shop.
Then, when Woolworth’s decided to come to town, he could have panicked and accepted the fact that Australia’s biggest supermarket chain would kill off his business.
Instead, he rolled the dice, and more than doubled their retail footprint.
He’s now the founder of one of Australia’s hottest up and coming franchises – The Source Bulk Foods.
This is a story of courage, determination and being true to one’s values.
Paul Medeiros is a cubicle escapee who left a high-paying / high-pressure executive position in a large publicly listed company to start a better life up near beautiful Byron Bay
Paul is also the founder, owner and head Franchisor of The Source Bulk Foods business – an amazing new retail concept that’s taken the franchise world by storm.
Basically, it’s a good old-fashioned grocery shopping done in a modern way. The shops look and feel very rustic and organic – lots of exposed brick and wood, and they sell ~ 400 bulk whole foods like nuts, seeds, grains, herbs, spices, cleaning and personal care products etc. You can buy as little or as much as you like. The big point-of-difference is its waste-free shopping. Customers BYO their own bottles, containers and bags to refill, as The Source is plastic bag free experience.
Paul shares some absolute gold with us:
- His escape from the cubicle
- How he spent 3-years deciding on his next move
- How he took on one of the biggest supermarket chains … and won!
- His clever approach to LAM … and so much more
Plus I share Part 3 of a 4-part series in which I share some highly clickable email subject lines that will get more of your emails open, more often. You’ll find Part 1 (the first 5 email subject lines) in last week’s episode of your favourite marketing podcast, and here’s Part 2.
Let’s get stuck right in!
00:00 Two marketing insights
02:38 Welcome & overview
08:21 Today’s guest introduction – Paul Medeiros of The Source Bulk Foods
06:07 Interview with Paul Medeiros of The Source Bulk Foods
49:21 Insights into Key Person of Influence & Cornerstone Business Solutions
52:22 My Top 3 Attention Grabbers from my chat with Paul Medeiros of The Source Bulk Foods
54:22 Insights from a listener who’s taken action
55:52 Part 3 – Highly Clickable Email Subject Lines
1:01:27 Wrap-up and an insight in to both a past guest & next week’s guest
WebCentral – Exclusive listener offers
Get your online marketing sorted with these exclusive listener offers.
Key Person of Influence – Become highly valued & highly paid
Grab a FREE hard or audio copy of their Amazon best-seller.
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
Growth Hack Accelerator – a live event I’m speaking at in September
The Source Bulk Food’s story
The article by Emma Dowdle containing 20 highly clickable email subject lines
MY TOP 3 MARKETING ATTENTION GRABBERS
- Courage – Paul has made some bold moves along the way including leaving a high-paying corporate position > Selling blinds on commission to fund his next move > Buying a fruit shop in a small country town of 3,000 people > Taking on Woolworths > Opening up his second shop in Sydney at an exorbitant rent > Now running a 32 store franchise.
- Social Influencers – Ask people who love what you do and what your business stands for, and see how they can help spread the word. Whilst this happens organically (the Black Milk interview is an example of this), you can also overtly encourage it.
- Local Area Marketing – I loved how Paul slowly but surely (and quite strategically) integrated himself and his business into the Mullumbimby community. What are you doing to genuinely embed yourself into your community?
OVER TO YOU …
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from this episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every comment.