Ron Chowanetz, a commercial finance broker in Melbourne and long time listener of Small Business Big Marketing (and personal friend of Timbo’s) has been battling cancer these last few months. He shared what it’s taught him in a short email to his list this morning. Forget all the marketing tips and tricks we’ve shared with you this year, Ron’s life lessons are infinitely more important. Here’s what he shared …
Welcome to the last edition of Rons Rant for 2011.
First of all, I’d like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Healthy Happy New Year and that 2012 brings continued success.
In our last edition we mentioned some of the changes that were happening in the market place. But nothing could have prepared me for the biggest challenge in my life.
In September, I was diagnosed with a head and neck cancer after discovering a lump in my neck. I must say it was a very surreal experience as the first thought, I think we all have is that “it will never happen to me”. Following that initial diagnosis things moved very quickly. 2 separate operations, eight teeth removed and 7 weeks of Chemo & Radiation and as I write, the treatment has just completed. I am still in hospital being treated for the side effects that can continue after treatment has stopped.
There is no doubt that this will be a life changing experience and even though my prognosis is very good; it’s the way you handle the process after being challenged by your own mortality. That will have a lasting impact on me forever.
I wanted to pass on some of my thoughts that I have had during this process. If it can help one person it has been worthwhile.
- Never take anything for granted…..from a health point get any lumps etc. checked out.
- Take each day as it comes…..live in the now……not yesterday….not tomorrow.
- Have great support networks……family and friends have been unbelievable in their support……(cooking food, childminding, drop offs/pick ups to and from the hospital, gardening, etc…..if they love you they will be there for you)
- Don’t be afraid to take a risk……what’s the worst thing that can happen?
- Have an amazing attitude….it will help you get though whatever challenge you might be facing.
- 3 little words…….I’ll handle it………
We will be back bigger and better in 2012.
Thanks for sharing, Ronnie. And God’s speed in your recovery.