Joep Pennartz started Shacky out of a desire to create opportunities for a digital detox. To look out the window, listen to birds and take a deep, long breath. After a particularly hectic period in his life, he and his girlfriend managed a getaway in a little place that had no mobile service, and just two days in this environment felt like a whole month’s worth of relaxation.
As time went on he realised that this type of a holiday was a growing need for many people who need to unwind and go on a digital detox. This lead to the start of the Shacky adventure.
This is a story of innovation (which Joep has a Masters degree in), crowdfunding and just some really clever marketing ideas.
I think you’re going to love this chat, Joep’s passion for his business and the way in which he has gone about building it is truly inspiring.
We cover a tonne of marketing ground including:
- JOMO (the joy of missing out) a term Joep likes to use when promoting these beautiful tiny houses
- Some nice 1 percenters that Joep has done to build and promote Shacky
- A great PR hack
- How Air BnB used the Shakies to help build their brand
Also in this episode of your favourite marketing podcast …
- I share a simple 3-step process for getting customer feedback in our most popular segment lovingly called What Have You Got To Lose?
- And we go back into the Small Business Big Marketing vault, revisiting a past episode revisiting a popular episode with my old mates (and speaking coaches) Zara and Troy from Humour Australia
I also went to one of Key Person of Influence Brand Accelerator Events. It’s 8-hours full of solid content. If you’re interested here’s a 50% discount on the ticket price.
Here are my top 3 learnings from attending the event:
- Matthew Michalewicz a previous guest on the show presented on Pitching – His key take away was the “Name, same, different” philosophy. eg. My name is Tim Reid, I’m like a marketing consultant but I’m different in that I share my knowledge from stage and a podcast. How can you use that philosophy in your business?
- Rebecca Coomes – an ex-marketing consultant who’d made a decision that her true passion is helping people overcome a particular gut problem called SIBO (that she also suffered from) – she’s now a leading expert in this area and has an incredible product eco-system including books, courses, coaching, live events. I’m actually going to get her on an upcoming episode soon.
- Hair Salon Coach Lisa Conway talked about how it’s OK to be yourself as you build into becoming a key person of influence in your industry.
AND, I’ve got some EXCITING news. The next Small Business Big Marketing ‘Outsourcing Tour of The Philippines’ is coming up!
- Learn about all the options that are out there for outsourcing to the Philippines
- Visit businesses that are successfully doing it
- Hang out with other motivated business owners
It costs $2,990 twin share and it’s on March 27-29, 2017
Check out all the juicy details at smallbusinessbigmarketing.com/tour
Yep, you guessed it, another huge episode, so let’s get stuck, right in.
00:00 Two marketing insights
01:40 Welcome & overview
03:30 3 dates that I would love for you to save in your calendar
05:20 3 learnings from the KPI Brand Accelerator event
07:40 Today’s guest introduction – Joep Pennartz
08:35 Interview with Joep Pennartz
43:50 Insights into Cornerstone Business Solutions
45:30 My Top 3 Attention Grabbers from my chat with Joep Pennartz
46:52 3 steps to getting customer feedback
49:47 Wrap-up and an insight in to both a past guest & next week’s guest
MY TOP 3 MARKETING ATTENTION GRABBERS
- JOMO – The joy of missing out. We should look for more opportunities to miss out on things.
- The signage containing the website address Joep had on the back of his first Shacky when he was delivering it. This is a great example of really believing in your product and grabbing every opportunity to get the word out.
- I love the fact that he didn’t opt for the most obvious business model which would have been to mass produce Shackies for individual sale. And I love that one if the reasons he did this was to maintain control of his brand.
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
Key Person of Influence – Become highly valued & highly paid
Grab a FREE hard or audio copy of their Amazon best-seller.
OVER TO YOU …
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from this episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every comment.