Andrew Banks made a motza from building two of the world’s largest recruitment companies – Morgan & Bans and Talent 2. He’s also one of the original sharks on the Australian version of Shark Tank in which he’s already invested in nine start-ups. He has an infectious attitude towards business that I know you’re going to love.
“In order to build a solid team culture, we would recruit around people’s personality, style, and passion. So we’d hire Accountants to recruit Accountants, and Engineers to recruit Engineers. We recruit around who the person was as opposed to what they used to do.”
– Andrew Banks,
There’s loads more tips and insights just like this that will help you build that beautiful business of yours into the empire it deserves to be. Hit the PLAY button above to listen now, or subscribe free to hear the full interview. You’ll also find the full interview transcription below.
If you have questions about how to build an empire from scratch then you’ll get the answers in this interview with shark Andrew Banks, including:
- How to build a strong team culture?
- Why buying an ad in the Super Bowl was one of the best marketing moves ever!
- How to attract and retain great people.
- What makes a great leader.
- How to manage adversity in business.
- How to become a Shark on Shark Tank!
- And plenty more …
A little more about today’s guest, Shark Tank’s Andrew Banks:
Andrew Banks is a failed actor Andrew Banks. A good-looking failed actor, but a failed actor nonetheless. Realising his days in front of the camera were numbered, he borrowed $5,000 on two credit cards to get his first business off the ground.
Fast forward 30 years and he’s established two of the world’s biggest recruitment companies – Morgan & Banks and Talent 2, employing thousands of people globally.
Along the way, he’s made an absolute motza!
These days, he’s back in front of the camera, as one of the sharks on Network Ten’s Shark Tank, whose task it is to either fund or maul startups and inventors ready to take their idea to the next level.
He’s proudly made more mistakes than all of us combined, which places him in a great position to share what it takes to build a business empire literally from scratch.
Here’s what caught my attention from my chat with Andrew Banks from Shark Tank:
- He’s a genuinely good bloke. Very accessible and very giving of his time.
- I loved his advice around finding time to get creative in your business.
- And his view on marketing versus sales is critical. Too many business owners don’t separate the two. You do because you’re listening to this show .. but what about the rest!?
Here’s the ad Andrew ran in the Super Bowl that attracted a gazillion resumes!
But the marketing gold doesn’t stop there, in this episode:
- This week’s Monster Prize Draw winner is:
- Peter from the Marketing Study Lab
Jingle of the Week – Weetbix Kids
Please support American Express who make this show possible:
Let your business expenses reward you. Every year.
Join me at the Idea Exchange in Melbourne (October 17) and Sydney (November 22).
If something in this episode of Australia’s favourite marketing podcast peaked your interest, then let me know by leaving a comment below.
May your marketing be the best marketing.