Foundr Magazine’s Nathan Chan has hustled his way to a community of over one million peeps (yeah, one million), including almost 500,000 Instagram followers, and interviews with the likes of Tony Robbins, Ariana Huffington and Seth Godin (yeah, whatever ;0) Join me as we go behind-the-scenes of this burgeoning little online magazine empire.
Nathan is the Publisher & Editor of Foundr Magazine, a digital magazine for young entrepreneurs on the App Store & Google Play store. He launched Foundr in March 2013 from his bedroom and very quickly it became a top 10 ranked ‘Business & Investing Magazine’.
Runner up for Publisher of the Year for 2015 in the Digital Magazine awards; he has had the pleasure of interviewing some of the most accomplished entrepreneurs around the world namely Sir Richard Branson, Arianna Huffington, Tim Ferris, Tony Robbins & Seth Godin.
I met Nathan at a conference we both spoke at recently. He’s a very unassuming guy, could possibly still get asked for ID at clubs (don’t tell him I said that ;0) … but most importantly, he’s a real hustler who’s very good at getting what he wants and making things happen.
In this fireside chat Nathan shares:
- Foundr Magazine was … well …. founded
- Marketing strategies that have produced exceptional results
- How he built a following of 443,000 Instagram followers
- Plus how he goes about snagging some amazing interviews
In today’s episode of Australia’s best marketing podcast, I started off by asking Nathan … what’s the scariest thing he’s ever done?
00:34 Welcome & overview
03:10 Today’s guest introduction – Nathan Chan
04:35 Interview with Nathan Chan – Part 1
18:55 Insights in to 99Designs & Netregistry
21:00 Interview with Nathan Chan – Part 2
52:45 My top 3 marketing learnings fro my chat with Nathan Chan
55:06 Motivational marketing quote of the week
55:22 Listener question
58:53 Wrap-up and insights in to next week’s guests
EPISODE SPONSORS (PLEASE SUPPORT THEM)
Netregistry special offer – Get your online marketing sorted. Websites from $79 / month.
99Designs free coupon – Get a design you’ll love. in 7-days. 100% guaranteed.
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
(GO ON, SHARE THE LOVE, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO)
MY TOP 3 MARKETING TIPS FROM THIS EPISODE
- Consider how you can add social proof to your marketing message – learn how to get media interviews (online and offline) plus testimonials and third-party endorsements.
- View any social media channel as a way to get prospects in to your sale’s funnel. (You’ve got a sales funnel, right?).
- Nathan’s Instagram formula for getting more followers applies to any social media channel:
- Have a clear, consistent theme
- Be consistent wit your posting
- Work out what’s valuable to your audience
- Share for share
INSPIRATIONAL MARKETING QUOTE
“Small business isn’t for the faint heart. It’s for the brave,
the patient and the persistent. It’s for the overcomer.
Long live the overcomer.”
OVER TO YOU …
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from this episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every comment.