Imagine starting an airline. Well, today’s guest and his two mates just did with Fly Airly. And you can fly as often as you want for one (pretty reasonable) flat rate.
Luke Hampshire is the co founder of Fly Airly – a very different kind of airline.
“How different?” Well, put it this way, Fly Airly flies only between three of Australia’s main cities – Melbourne, Sydney & Canberra – and it’s a membership-based pricing model in which they charge a flat monthly fee which allows you to fly as often as you like.
Cool, huh? Brave, definitely!
In this very candid interview, Luke shares:
- Where the idea for Fly Airly came from?
- How you actually get an airline idea off the ground 😉
- The success they had from one simple press interview
- How they came up with the pricing model
- The costs associated with starting an airline
- Plus plenty more.
Plus in today’s episode of your favourite marketing podcast, I give some support to the Marketing Manager over at Brumby’s, share some feedback from the guitarist of heavy metal band Lord, and read some feedback from a long time listener who’s had some great success with some very simple videos.
Yep, you guessed it … another blindingly great epsidoe of the best marketing podcast going around.
00:29 Welcome & overview
02:52 A quick whinge in support of Brumby’s marketing manager
05:26 Some listener feedback
09:02 Today’s guest introduction – Luke Hampshire of Fly Airly
09:57 Interview with Luke Hampshire – Part 1
23:26 Insights in to Key Person Of Influence & Netregistry
25:23 Interview with Luke Hampshire – Part 2
41:11 My top 3 marketing learnings fro my chat with Luke Hampshire
44:39 Motivational marketing quote of the week
45:00 Update from long time listener James Axisa
47:48 Wrap-up and insights in to next week’s guests
EPISODE SPONSORS (PLEASE SUPPORT THEM)
Netregistry special offer – Get your online marketing sorted. Websites from $79 / month.
Grab a free hard or audio copy of the Key Person Of Influence Amazon best-seller book
This book is red hot. Not to be read in bed. Way too stimulating.
Register for a Key Person Of Influence Brand Accelerator live event
8-hours of business-changing content. No BS.
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
MY TOP 3 ATTENTION GRABBERS FROM THIS EPISODE
- I love the monthly Membership pricing model – what can you charge a monthly recurring fee for?
- Ask how you can disrupt your industry? Branson’s entire strategy is based around challenging the status quo. An effective exercise is to list all the conventions of your industry then flip them 180 degrees. Who knows what crazy ideas may show themselves.
- The warning bells sounded when Luke suggested he was a bit of a creative at heart and would be tackling a lot of the marketing himself. I get that cash flow is everything, and marketing can cost (although not as much as we all think, right?!), but I also know just how important getting some key marketing touch points is when launching a business – particularly one that’s such a high involvement purchase.
INSPIRATIONAL MARKETING QUOTE
“If someone offers you an amazing opportunity
but you’re not sure you can do it;
say yes, then learn how to do it later.”
Sir Richard Branson
OVER TO YOU …
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from this episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every comment.