I’ve been travelling a bit around the country lately. Eating out lots. So I’ve written the following ten commandments for waiters and waitresses around the world:
- Thou shalt look me in the eye when I’m being greeted, paying the bill, making an order.
- Thou shalt not get all sad when I suggest “Hey, this is a really nice coffee, but it’s a tad on the cold side.”
- Thou shalt not wipe the table down with a wet cloth as I sit down.
- Thou shalt not incessantly talk amongst the other staff as if work were a social gathering.
- Thou shall not take my order by memory, then ask me to wait whilst they grab a pad to write it down.
- Thou shalt not say they don’t do omelettes when there are eggs on the menu.
- Thou shalt look for little chances to surprise and delight.
- Thou shalt know what the Soup of the Day is.
- Thou shalt not blast their favourite radio station throughout the dining room.
- Thou shalt not race around the dining room as if their life depended upon it.
What do you think? Am I being too harsh. What commandment would you add?