We’ve all had to compete against businesses much larger than us, right? And sometimes it ends in tears. Well, not for today’s guest – Karen Justice, founder of Just For Pets. It started in tears, but now she’s taking on the big boys … and winning, thanks to some very smart marketing. So strap in for a bit of David versus Goliath.
Karen has owned and managed the Just For Pets buying group since 2009, following a long stint as a registered nurse, as well as owning her own pet shop for 5 years. Gotta love a bit of hands-on knowledge. She spends most of her time liaising with independent pet retailers and the major manufacturers and suppliers to the pet industry.
Listen in to my fireside chat with Karen and you’ll discover:
- How to compete against the big guys
- The importance of due diligence
- How to reinvent a business
- The powerhouse branding model
- How to get others to sponsor your ideas
- What to do when pushed around by the top end of town
- How to stand out in a crowded marketplace
- The importance of brand experience
- And how essential oils and salt lamps help build a business!
Plus I take you behind-the-scenes of next week’s interview, and share a marketing quote from that famous old marketer, Pablo Picasso!
Yep, it’s another big episode to add to The Small Business Big Marketing Show’s archives.
- 00:39 Welcome and overview of today’s episode
- 02:28 Time for a quick check-in
- 05:01 I introduce today’s guest Karen Justice of Just For Pets
- 06:31 Interview with Karen Justice – Part 1
- 18:41 Online marketing tips from Netregistry & Audible
- 20:09 Interview with Karen Justice – Part 2
- 33:14 My top 3 learnings from my interview with Dwayne
- 34:27 Motivational marketing quote of the week
- 34:41 Insight in to next week’s guest
- 36:36 Wrap-up and insight into next week’s guest
Today’s Episode Sponsors (please support them)
Netregistry Get your online marketing sorted!
Audible – Grab your free audio book now
The Small Business Big Marketing Forum
Resources & links mentioned in this episode
- Just For Pets Official Website
- Just For Pets Six Point Health Check
- Hit up Karen on Twitter
- Need a marketing speaker? Book keynote speaker Tim Reid
Tweetables – Share The Love
My Top 3 Marketing Tips from my chat with Karen Justice of Just For Pets:
- Try not to hit the panic button when things go wrong. Take a step back and look at what’s really going on.
- I love Karen’s Health Centre idea and the offer of a Six Point Health Check. A great way to increase basket size.
- Focus on creating an experience for your customer – they’ll become a lot less price sensitive.
Inspirational Marketing Quote of the Week
“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.”
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.