Talk about mixing the old with the new. Have you heard about crowdfunding? How about Farming? In this chat with Dan Tarasenko from Crowd Carnivore we talk about how they are crowd funding the purchase of beef and lamb, and how they’ve generated a tonne of great PR for their startup.
Crowd Carnivore is on a mission to make it easier for consumers to get grass fed beef and lamb from local farmers. It’s a beautifully simple idea that has garnered so much media coverage and is generating more interest than they can keep up with. I was honoured that Dan made time to appear on my show.
Dive in as we explore how Crowd Carnivore all started, and how Dan and Zach began by testing the idea on Facebook with a handful of local farmers and generated so much interest that they’ve since been featured on SBS and in the Sydney Morning Herald.
In this fireside chat we explore:
- The crowd funding model and how new technology makes an old problem easy to solve
- How the improvement of technology is bringing us back to how life used to be before the industrial revolution
- How to get great PR for your startup
- Finding a win/win for buyers and sellers
- How they went from full time real estate consulting and web development to crowdfunding cows
- The beautiful simplicity of the Crowd Carnivore website
Plus I get some great feedback from a listener with a very naughty business that’s taking massive action, and another review from a happy reader of my new book The Boomerang Effect.
00:41 Welcome & overview
02:27 Today’s guest introduction – Dan Tarasenko of Crowd Carnivore
03:36 Interview withDan Tarasenko – Part 1
11:08 Insights in to Netregistry & Designcrowd.com
13:25 Interview withDan Tarasenko – Part 2
33:32 My top 3 attention grabbers from my chat with Dan Tarasenko
36:44 Motivational marketing quote of the week
37:34 Listener feedback
41:33 Wrap-up and insights in to next week’s guests
EPISODE SPONSORS (PLEASE SUPPORT THEM)
Netregistry listener offer – Get your online marketing sorted. Websites from $79 / month.
Designcrowd.com – Save up to $100 on your first design.
The world’s #1 custom design marketplace – beautifully simple & cheap. We love cheap!
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
Buy Timbo’s new marketing book The Boomerang Effect
MY TOP 3 MARKETING ATTENTION GRABBERS FROM THIS EPISODE
- I love how Dan and Zac acted on the Crowd Carnivore idea when it appeared. So, acknowledge when an idea feels right – and most importantly, act on it; being careful not to let your head kick in and start coming up with all the reasons why you shouldn’t act on the excitement that you’re feeling. In the late Dr Wayne Dyer’s book Living an Inspired Life he says:
“Anything that’s causing excitement within us, is evidence of a spiritual message that’s saying “You can do this … Yes you can.” If we react to this message with anything other than “You’re correct – I can do this”, then we’ve selected the vibration of resistance and ignored the vibration of excitement that spoke to us.”
- Get out and meet the people – I love how Dan and Zac are getting out and meeting all the farmers that want to come on board. It would be too easy to ring them and never actually look them in the eye.
- Don’t underestimate the potential leverage of getting an article in your local paper. It can (and often does) lead to other media opportunities – Don’t believe me? Then check out episode 273 with Sam Elam from Media Manoeuvres where we she explains how to get earned media.
INSPIRATIONAL MARKETING QUOTE
Dr. Wayne Dyer once said …
“We must learn to make a conscious choice to say no
to anything that takes us away from living an inspired life.”
OVER TO YOU …
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from this episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every comment.