Having a discounting pricing strategy is one thing. Making it work and turning it in to an unbelievably successful business is another. That’s what today’s guest, Ashley Wilson of Shiploads discount variety store in Tasmania has done.
I’ve wanted to have the discounting pricing discussion for a while now, so buckle up as we cover plenty of marketing ground including the consumer psychology behind discounting, the optimal discounting pricing strategy, how to build a quality brand that still screams cheap, the importance of a funny business name and so much more.
Plus I answer a question from a listener who’s keen to know how to beef up their resume.
Let’s get stuck right into episode 224 of Australia’s #1 marketing show. Go!
- 00:58 Welcome and overview of today’s episode
- 01:46 Check-in … a chance to see how business is
- 04:58 A little sponsor love for Netregistry & 99Designs
- 07:44 I tackle a question from a student about how to beef up his resume
- 13:14 Introduction of today’s guest, Ashley Wilson of discount variety store Shiploads
- 52:21 Tim’s top 3 marketing tips from the interview
- 54:04 Marketing Quote of the Week
Today’s Episode Sponsors (please support them 🙂
Resources & links mentioned in this episode
- Shiploads website
- Main Street Financial (Charles introduced me to Ashley)
- My interview with financial planner Charles Badenach
- Join the The Small Business Big Marketing Forum now
My Top 3 Marketing Tips from chatting with Shiploads founder, Ashley Wilson
This week’s top 3 learnings from my chat with discount variety store owner Ashley Wilson of Shiploads:
- Building trust is everything – do it through being consistent with your brand
- Meetings are the killers of productivity
- Spend good time getting your business name right
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.