Here’s proof from a modern day cubicle escapee that if you follow your passion, you’ll succeed.
Do you love the idea of flying first class? Business class? Or as today’s guest, Steve Hui (tweet him here) calls it flying flat? Who doesn’t! Now known as the points whisperer, Steve is another cubicle escapee who’s made the leap in to small business by following his passion. What a good idea!
Established in 2012, iFLYflat is a Points Optimisation Consultancy, the only professional service of its type in the world.
For over 17 years, Steve applied his skills solving complex problems in senior finance roles in corporations including Macquarie Bank, but made the move to leave the corporate world to start his own business inspired by his innovative thinking, his passion for travel and a burning desire to optimise things.
iFLYflat helps businesses and high spending individuals to optimise their credit card reward and frequent flyer points, so they can fly in comfort (with their points), in any class, to anywhere. Providing strategy, advice and flight bookings.
Steve’s innovative business has been recognised with prestigious accolades including being selected as a 2014 Young Business Leader by CPA Australia, a Top 10 Start Ups to Watch by Startup Daily and the Sydney Morning Herald, and his expertise is often profiled in BRW, Sky Business, Australian Financial Review and CEO magazine.
Steve is the leading authority on optimising reward points to help businesses significantly reduce their travel expenditure.
Plus I tackle a listener question about a steakhouse that’s showing some disrespect towards vegetarians. Really!!
Let’s get stuck right into episode 219 of Australia’s #1 marketing show. Go!
- 1:44 I tackle a listener question about a steakhouse that’s disrespecting vegetarians!
- 5:58 How Netregistry and 99Designs can help make your business life easier (and cheaper)
- 8:44 Steve Hui introduction
- 10:57 I start by asking Steve about the most luxurious flying experience he’s ever had
- 15:24 Steve reveals his favourite airline
- 16:22: How Steve escaped the cubicle and the ah-ha moment that lead to his business idea
- 20:11 Steve’s transition from the cubicle to his own business
- 20:55 I remind us all about what an askhole is!
- 22:41 The first marketing initiative Steve took
- 23:12 What changed for Steve to feel comfortable in his own skin
- 28:51 The services Steve offers
- 30:47 How Steve gone about pricing his service offerings
- 34:35 How do you market something that people don’t know exists?
- 45:06 My top 4 learnings from my chat with Steve
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- 99Designs design marketplace: For logo design, brochure design, and more. Grab your exclusive listener upgrade at this link.
- Netregistry: Get your online marketing sorted!
- I Fly Flat – The official website
- Hit up Steve Hui on Twitter and tell him you heard him on The Small Business Big Marketing Show
- Join the The Small Business Big Marketing Forum now to listen to the exclusive Q&A I did with Paul
- Crank My Marketing – Join the Forum
My Top 4 Learnings
This week’s top 4 learnings from my chat with I Fly Flat’s Steve Hui:
1. Actively seek free publicity & editorial – don’t wait for it to happen
2. Look for a problem you can solve, then go start a business that solves it better than anyone else
3. Consider if there’s other ways that your skills could be best used
4. Focus on that part of your business that you love
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.ives a ccrap,