I don’t know about you, but I download a lot of apps. I get excited at the time, but then forget to use them. Today’s guest, Christian Mischler, founder of Hotel Quickly has created a very disruptive app in an industry that is ripe for some good old-fashioned disruption.
Hotel Quickly assists you in getting a last minute hotel booking – in fact, you can only get a room on it for the coming 48-hours. Now that’s disruptive!
Listen in and discover:
- Where the idea came from and how he got it to market
- How he raised USD$5.6 million
- Why small business should be making better use of smart phones
- The risk of asking friends about your idea
- How he’s maximizing downloads and building repeat usage
- How he’s created sustainable growth through some big joint ventures with brands like Uber and Westpac
Yep, it’s another big episode to add to The Small Business Big Marketing Show’s archives.
- 00:39 Welcome and overview of today’s episode
- 01:50 Checking in on your week
- 03:45 I introduce today’s guest Christian Mischler of Hotel Quickly
- 05:15 Interview with Christian Mischler – Part 1
- 09:50 Online marketing tips from Netregistry
- 10:50 Interview with Christian Mischler – Part 2
- 30:12 My top 3 learnings from my interview with Christian
- 31:34 Motivational marketing quote of the week
- 31:47 Wrap-up and insight into next week’s guest
Today’s Episode Sponsors (please support them)
Netregistry Get your online marketing sorted!
Audible – Grab your free audio book now
The Small Business Big Marketing Forum
Resources & links mentioned in this episode
- Hotel Quickly’s official website
- Need a marketing speaker? Book keynote speaker Tim Reid
Tweetables – Share The Love
My Top 3 Marketing Tips from my chat with Christian Mischler of Hotel Quickly:
- Seek mutually beneficial partnerships – they’re a great way to get leverage and grow your business much quicker than trying to do it all yourself.
- Work hard to make your website look beautiful, with an interface that users want to engage with.
- Make apps more top-of-mind. There really are some amazingly helpful ones out there – I love Uber, Paypal, Downcast and Dropbox to name a few. They’re the ones I remember to use!
Inspirational Marketing Quote of the Week
“If you can dream it, you can achieve it. You will get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want.”
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.
4 thoughts on “240 – Hotel Quickly is a disruptive app that’s challenging a market that has become way too complacent”
Hi Christian, I use TripAdvisor a lot (and review as well), but not in App form. Is there much difference between an App, and a mobile friendly site? Is this just semantics? Cheers
Thoroughly enjoyed this episode gents- as a service provider it was insightful and encouraging! thanks Brad
Hi Steve, sorry, only saw this now. From a user perspective, there is not much difference between an app or mobile web. From a publisher perspective though there is a big difference in user acquisition methods. We are not bidding on any keywords (SEM) for instance, however, we spend quite a bit on mobile ad networks to acquire app downloads. The benefit of an app to us is that we’re always keeping this real estate on a user’s phone and don’t need to reacquire customers, if we manage to meet / exceed their expectations during the first booking. Cheers
Thanks Christian, really interesting. I guess an app also supports the ‘just in time’ nature of your business. Mobile is important – we just re-did our site to be mobile friendly – http://www.wealthontrack.com.au. Cheers