If you think that it’s impossible to travel around your country, the world even, while earning a great income, think again. Just three years ago, Caz Makepeace was stuck in the cubicle. But when she and her husband committed to turning their travel blog, Y Travel Blog, into a real income stream, they found themselves travelling to far flung destinations with their kids – all while getting paid for it.
How did Caz become a travel blogger? Listen in as she reveals all in the latest episode of Australia’s #1 marketing podcast, including how she acquired more than 4 million (!) Pinterest followers, and just how to monetise her travel blog’s content.
PLUS, I answer a listener question and give you the details on a listener meet-up happening on September 25th in Melbourne. Let’s get stuck into another episode FULL of marketing GOLD!
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- How it’s possible to travel the world and earn a great living at the same time.
- Why content is not just a promotional platform – it can actually generate your income.
- The importance of doing one thing really well.
- Why your next marketing activity should be writing and selling an ebook.
- Just what a day in the life of a travel blogger is really like.
- How Caz acquired more than 4 million Pinterest followers.
- Why it is important to play to your own strengths in business.
- Why there is still room for growth in the online world and you shouldn’t be scared about starting an online business.
- That it is truly possible to escape the cubicle if you just “lean in” to your new path.
- 2.00 I answer a listener question about the best way of funneling money to get great results.
- 6.45 Use 99designs for all of your professional design, whether you need a logo, display ads, or a car bumper.
- 8.00 All about the listener meet-up in Melbourne on September 25th
- 9.00 Can’t catch a break with online marketing? Get it SORTED with Netregistry.
- 11.45 Introducing Caz Makepeace, one of the founders of and contributers to Y Travel Blog. How she escaped the cubicle to go blogging full time.
- 14.30 From writing a blog at home to packing up the kids and travelling Australia while blogging.
- 16.30 Getting clearer on monetisation models enabled Caz and her husband to blog full time 18 months ago.
- 18.30 Committing to the world of blogging and “leaning in”.
- 19.30 Caz reveals the ways she monetises her blog.
- 24.00 The craziest thing that Caz has experienced in her blogging career so far.
- 28.15 A day in the life of a full time travel blogger.
- 30.00 Caz talks editorial missions and why knowing that purpose is so important for any business.
- 35.00 I ask Caz about blogging must-dos.
- 41.30 Uh-oh. I’ve got a bone to pick with Caz. Why oh why did she stop podcasting?
- 45.00 Ways of securing traditional press coverage when you’re a blog (or business) owner.
- 51.30 My top three learnings from chatting with Caz.
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Y Travel Blog
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- 99designs – For all your design needs
- SourceBottle – for publicity
- Jason Mile’s Pinterest interview
- Darren Rowse ProBlogger interview
- Eugene from AquaBumps interview
- 5 Traits I Demand From My Graphic Designer
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!