“Hey Mum, I’m gunna become a garbo!” That’s the start of a phone call today’s guest, Joe Drew of myBins, had to make when he decided to escape the corporate cubicle with his best mate Amos. History now has it that these two young blokes are now cleaning up (#DadJoke) around Sydney’s Northern Beaches. They’ve got plenty of work, have extended their service offering and are even looking to franchise. This is a wonderful of two young blokes having a crack, and making some very smart business and marketing decisions along the way.
During my fireside chat with Joe, you’ll discover:
- The criteria Joe used to choose the myBins idea out of all the ideas he and Amos were tossing around
- How to make pricing a non-issue
- The power of a recurring revenue model
- How to find the best SEO company to help you rank well
- Why escaping the cubicle is a damn good thing (if you didn’t know already)!
- How to get mass media coverage (I first saw Joe on Sunrise)
- Plus plenty more marketing ideas
I also share some touching and insightful feedback from listener Tracy Hooper of The Confidence Project. It reminded me that gratitude is a wonderful thing, and that many of us (me included) could offer up more of it.
Yep, it’s another big show. Let’s get stuck right into episode 233 of Australia’s #1 marketing podcast. Go!
- 00:39 Welcome and overview of today’s episode
- 01:52 Checking in on your week
- 07:16 A little sponsor love for Netregistry & 99Designs
- 10:25 I let you know about some amazing upcoming guests
- 11:38 I introduce today’s guest Joe Drew
- 41:16 My top 4 learnings from my interview with Mark
- 43:47 Motivational marketing quote of the week
- 44:41 Wrap-up and insight into next week’s guest
Today’s Episode Sponsors (please support them)
Resources & links mentioned in this episode
Tweetables – Share The Love
My Top 3 Marketing Tips from my chat with myBins Joe Drew:
- Have a business where price isn’t an issue; where it’s not a blockage to purchase. Joe’s $1 per bin is genius!
- Look for ways to have products or services that generate recurring revenue.
- Don’t avoid SEO. Just choose good people. Netregistry is a great SEO provider. Or do what Joe did and choose whoever appears at the top of Google’s organic search results.
- Oh, and if you haven’t already, the escape the cubicle and start a small business 😉
Inspirational Marketing Quote of the Week
“The day of the go-getter has past. He has been replaced by the go-giver.”
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.