If you’ve listened to this show long enough, you’ll know that I fundamentally believe there’s never been a better time to market a small business.
Because the tools and resources we have at our disposal are amazing.
They enable us to do things that 5 or 10 years ago were just way too expensive.
One of those resources is crowdsourcing – and who better to explain how to use crowdsourcing effectively than Designcrowd founder, Alec Lynch, the founder of Designcrowd, the world’s #1 custom design marketplace; which coincidently was once a sponsor of this show.
For those who are unaware of what Designcrowd is, put simply, it’s an online marketplace where graphic designers from all over the world compete to get you a design you love.
Now Alec is not here to sell you on the benefits of Designcrowd. But he is here to explain the concept and power of crowdsourcing, and how you can use it to achieve things in your business that previously you may have thought were just too expensive things like design, voice-overs, photography, copywriting and so on.
On top of that, he also shares:
- Where the idea for Designcrowd came from
- How he got it to market
- Some of the marketing tactics he’s used to grow Designcrowd including a clever guerilla marketing idea
Also in this episode of your favourite marketing podcast …
- I share a simple 3-step marketing strategy that involves handwritten thank you letters.
- And we go back into the SBBM vault, revisiting a past episode in which I caught up with past guest Ben Buie whose YouTube video How to tie a tie has hd in excess of 30 million view!
Yep, you guessed it, another big episode, so let’s get stuck, right in.
00:00 Two marketing insights
01:51 Welcome & overview
03:33 Today’s guest introduction – Designcrowd founder Alec Lynch
05:10 Interview with Designcrowd founder Alec Lynch
42:38 Insights into Workplace Assured & Key Person of Influence
46:07 My Top 3 Attention Grabbers from my chat with Designcrowd founder Alec Lynch
46:41 A handwritten letter marketing strategy
50:09 Wrap-up and an insight in to both a past guest & next week’s guest
MY TOP 3 MARKETING ATTENTION GRABBERS
- Make crowdsourcing a part of how you do business. I’ll put links in the show notes to a variety of sites that will enable you to try crowd sourcing in the areas of photography, voiceovers, copywriting and more.
- Three critical success factors to getting crowdsourcing right:
i. Get your brief right
ii. Don’t skimp on the prize money you offer
iii. Provide useful, constructive feedback to those who respond to your brief
- Be your own coach and actively look for the positives. I loved how Alec made a point at the end of each day to reflect on 6 things he did well, and 6 things he could improve on tomorrow.
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
Grab an exclusive listener discount at Designcrowd
Interview with Ben Buie from how to tie a tie video fame
Other crowdsourcing options:
Voices – Get a voice-over done
Workplace Assured – Worry less about your employer obligations
Check out their FREE advice line for employers
Key Person of Influence – Become highly valued & highly paid
Grab a FREE hard or audio copy of their Amazon best-seller
OVER TO YOU …
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from this episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every comment.