Today I chat with a hype marketing artist who recently launched The Hype Handbook … packed with stories, and I quote, of obscure crackpots who got millions to buy into their ideas, along with unknowns, freaks and weirdos who garnered around the clock media attention with spending a penny. End quote. It’s an overly hyped-up episode 555 of The (12 year-old, award-winning) Small Business Big Marketing podcast.
A Little More About hype-artist Michael F. Schein …
A big thank you to past guest Jamie Mustard (author of The Iconist) for introducing me to today’s guest Michael F. Schein.
Michael is a self-confessed hype-artist, owner of the New York hype-based marketing agency MicroFame Media, and the author of The Hype Handbook … 12 indispensable success secrets from the world’s greatest propagandists, self-promoters, cult leaders, mischief makers and boundary breakers.
Now without hyping things up too much, I must say that Michael’s extensive research into hype marketing pretty much places him at the top of the mountain when it comes to explaining what hype is, how it works and how to wield its power for the greater good.
So sit back with a calming Chamomile tea as Michael walks us through his 12 proven strategies for moving minds, grabbing attention and generating meaningful outcomes for that precious business of yours including:
- Why you need to tap into people’s outrage
- Why you need to organise your own secret society
- How to create an atmosphere of curiosity and intrigue
- Plus soooo much more!
I started off asking Michael to explain how becoming a professional hype artist involved pissing off marketing guru Gary Vaynerchuk …
Timbo’s Top 3 Attention Grabbers from his chat with hype-artist Michael F. Schein …
- First and foremost, I love the whole concept of Hype marketing. In a world where there’s just not enough risque marketing, it’s refreshing to see businesses and people like Michael having a crack at truly standing out from the crowd.
- I love Michael’s theory that people form tribes around things they’re opposed or against. And what a great way to demonstrate this than by challenging the great Gary Vaynerchuk on his over-the-top work ethic!
- And I actually love the title of his book The Hype Handbook … with the tagline 12 indispensable success secrets from the world’s greatest propagandists, self-promoters, cult leaders, mischief makers and boundary breakers.
Other chats with founders who’ve undertaken some hype marketing:
Last Week’s Episode of The Small Business Big Marketing Podcast
Thanks for tuning in. May your marketing be the best marketing.