Health.com.au is the first health insurance company to enter the Australian market in more than 36 years. I chat with this start-up’s founder and CEO Andy Sheats about how his team built a $60M business in the space of two years. Andy reveals the importance of a one word domain name and branding for your business, hiring staff who can empathise with your customers, and how to cut through in a crowded market.
PLUS I answer a listener question from a mindfulness therapist on how NOT to sound like a schmuck when talking about what your business does.
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- Why small businesses can’t (and shouldn’t try to) build branding over many years in the way that a company like Apple or Amazon might.
- What makes people choose and, more importantly, stay with a particular brand.
- What agile methodology is and how it can help your business processes.
- How to build a strong culture around what your brand stands for.
- Understanding where your customer is in the buying cycle and customising their online experience around their attitude.
- How a one word domain name could be a gold mine.
- Telling your business story in a way that your customers can relate to.
- How a crowded market is actually a GOOD sign.
- PLUS, my five tips on how not to sound like a schmuck when describing what you have to offer your clients customers.
- 4.15 Introducing Health.com.au founder and CEO Andy Sheats
- 13.00 How much is a great domain name worth?
- 16.30 What health.com.au has achieved in its first two years since launch
- 22.00 What makes people choose and, more importantly, stick with a particular brand
- 27.30 Andy’s advice for people tossing up between the 9-5 and going it alone
- 33.30 Andy’s web conversion strategy tips
- 38.30 My top five take-aways from my fireside chat with Andy
- 41.45 Listener question
- 46.40 Listener reviews on iTunes
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- The Health.com.au website
- Episode #147 with Daniel Flynn of Thank You Water
- Jay Baer’s best-selling book Youtility
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Did you enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode and how you’re achieving cut through in your industry by leaving a comment below. I read and respond to all comments!