The famous (or is it infamous?) First Kiss video has more than 69 million YouTube views at the time of recording this episode, in which I speak with the video’s creator, Melissa Coker of Wren Studios. Melissa reveals how she came up with the idea for First Kiss, the importance of using an emotional connection in your marketing, and how you can use creative ideas and partnerships to make your content go viral.
Okay, so it turns out the video was actually a marketing video, which seemed to disappoint many of the cynics out there. But what clever marketing! Where could you get exposure like this for only $1300 (the budget for the video AFTER it blew out)? Melissa also opens up about the unexpected effect the video has had on her life and the two craziest things that have happened since the video went viral.
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- How the First Kiss video has changed Melissa’s business (and life) in unexpected ways
- The two craziest (personal) things that have happened since the launch of the First Kiss video
- How creating an emotional connection is crucial to making your marketing interesting AND powerful
- The biggest asset to your marketing that could be sitting (unused) right under your nose
- How the success of a creative marketing idea can lead to outcomes “beyond your wildest dreams”
- The power of video marketing and how to harness it to grow your business
- The importance of “being different” and how you can use your own individuality to build a memorable brand
- Why you shouldn’t follow what the big brands are doing (Hint: they’re usually playing catch-up with YOU)
- What sites like Buzzfeed and Upworthy can teach you about using emotional hooks in your marketing
- Forming partnerships with other businesses to “piggyback” on new and interesting marketing ideas
- How the more clever the idea, the less you need to spend on marketing (the First Kiss video was made for $1300!)
- PLUS, why your website needs to be mobile-friendly right NOW
- 0.45 What I learned about the importance of mobile-friendly websites during a recent trip to Malaysia
- 6.15 Introducing this episode’s special guest, Melissa Coker
- 10.00 Melissa shares where to find great ideas for creating content
- 13.00 Other successful marketing ideas Melissa worked on before First Kiss
- 19.45 Where did the idea for First Kiss came from?
- 27.00 I ask for some of the juicy details about the making of the First Kiss video
- 34.00 What have been the commercial outcomes from the video?
- 40.00 The two craziest things that have happened since the video’s launch
- 43.45 My top 3 take-aways from the interview and the questions I FORGOT to ask (tsk tsk Timbo)!
- 48.30 Anchorman Ron Burgundy drops in to read some listener reviews!
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- The First Kiss video
- Wren Studio website
- NetRegistry answers your marketing questions for free
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below about how you’re using video to create an emotional connection (or would like to be). I personally read and respond to every comment!