Are you making any of these mistakes when marketing to women? Women make up 51% of our population, yet most businesses are doing it all wrong when it comes to marketing to them. See, what women really want is to feel heard – and understood (sound familiar?). They’re looking for meaningful long-term relationships with brands. NOT just a quick trade of goods or services. Today I’m joined by Amanda Stevens, who debunks the age old myth that “sex sells” and explains the one HUGE mistake that men make when trying to market to women. Listen in and discover how to market to women.
Amanda is a speaker, writer, and marketing consultant who specialises in helping brands better market to the “80% minority”, as Amanda calls female consumers. She explains why your marketing should be “women first”, the importance of building a relationship with your female customers (if you want them to stick around, that is), and she also blows the lid off some commonly held misconceptions about today’s typical family make-up.
PLUS, I have a rant about how one of my favourite businesses is making one huge mistake with their social media, and how you can avoid making the same mistake.
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- Why women are 5x more likely to use word-of-mouth to promote your business
- Why women are the “80% minority” in marketing
- How the “traditional” family model now makes up less than 15% of the demographic (and how to use this knowledge for laser-targeted marketing)
- How to market to both men and women without alienating either group
- Theone huge mistake men make in sales and marketing interactions with women
- The different psychological effects problem solving has for men and women
- Why you SHOULDN’T solve your customers’ problems too quickly!
- How to make women feel listened to and understood (and why it matters)
- Why women are predisposed to respond emotionally and how to use this information
- Why you need to market to a woman’s entire social circle, not just the individual
- Why there’s a new shift towards the “experience economy” and what you need to do keep up
- What “word of MOUSE“ is and how to use it to market your business
- Why marketing for men and women is not an “either or” proposition
- The importance of building long-term relationships with your female customers, not going for one-off quickies
- Does it work? The research results on famous ad campaigns aimed at women, such asDove’s “Real Beauty” campaign
- Why sex DOESN’T sell (and what does)
- PLUS, I have a rant about how one of my favourite Aussie businesses is doing social media all wrong
- 5.15 Introducing today’s guest, Amanda Stevens
- 11.00 How can local businesses market to women as well as men without alienating either group?
- 19.45 Amanda and I discuss a specific advertisement – the Bonds women’s underwear ad (see the video below)
- 24.30 Amanda gives examples of brands who are marketing to women well
- 32.30 Does sex sell?
- 37.20 Amanda’s parting thought: the marketing mother-lode that’s sitting right under your nose!
- 39.30 My top 3 take-aways from this insightful chat with Amanda
- 43.00 Listener reviews
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
Bonds women’s underwear ad mentioned in the show:
- Amanda Stevens’ website
- Lorna Jane clothing
- NetRegistry answers your marketing questions for free
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below about marketing to women. I personally read and respond to every comment!