Cactus Skincare’s Ryan Clark wasn’t tight with the in crowd at school. But things changed once he decided to assist his mum relaunch her fledgling skincare brand. He sought training in body language, speech therapy and socialite (yep socialite) psychology; started to attend all the right events and managed to seed some of the most beautiful women in Australia. That last bit sounds wrong, but it’s exactly what he did!
What resulted was 100,000% (yes, that’s one hundred thousand percent!) growth within a couple of years.
Ryan reveals all in this interview, including talking about his biggest failures along the way and what they taught him, the step-by-step process he used to grow the business, and how he used social media to get influencers spreading the word about his brand. If you’re trying to make an impact in a crowded market, this episode is a “must listen”.
PLUS, I give you some tough love when it comes to taking your website from a smelly pond to a thriving ecosystem, and this week we have a bonus give-away valued at $149.
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- The big marketing idea that turned around Ryan’s family skincare business
- How Ryan built a powerful sales funnel to take prospects “down the rabbit hole”
- The role that clear, simple communication plays in getting your business out there
- How to use “product seeding” to raise awareness of your brand with the right people
- Ryan’s biggest failures along the way and the invaluable knowledge he got from them
- Why you should find a niche where you can stand out when entering a crowded market
- How Ryan created his own personal brand that aligned with what he wanted to achieve
- What Don Draper from Mad Men can teach you about networking and personal branding
- What you’re really selling and how it might be completely different to what you think it is!
- Why you should be wary of “free” in your marketing
- The importance of getting your potential customers to have some “skin in the game”
- PLUS, is your website a thriving pond or a smelly swamp?
- 5.00 Listener feedback — I read out some listener comments and emails about recent episodes
- 12.00 Introducing this week’s guest, Ryan Clark from Cactus Skincare
- 14.30 Entering a crowded market – what you can do to compete with the big boys & girls
- 16.30 Ryan talks about finding the right niche for the Cactus brand
- 20.00 How does personal branding fit in? What role should you play depending on your objectives?
- 24.00 I accuse Ryan of being a wanker! (For non-Australian listeners, this is what wanker means.)
- 31.00 Ryan talks about the importance of engaging with your customers and not being worried about getting personally involved
- 34.00 Ryan describes the big idea that turned the company around and allowed them to do things differently
- 37.30 What were some of Ryan’s biggest failures along the way?
- 44.00 My top three take-aways from this episode
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Cactus Skincare website
- Cactus on Instagram
- Linchpin by Seth Godin on Amazon
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- Swiftly.com – for small design jobs
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!