When Tahir Baig’s old university friend, Roshan Ghadamian, dreamed up the idea to offer completely customisable prams online, Tahir recognised an opportunity to ditch the corporate booth for good. The two guys, one a branding expert with an entrepreneurial spirit, the other a risk-averse engineer with an analytical mind, joined forces to create Rozibaby, an online retailer that gives parents the chance to create their own pimped up prams, with over 100,000 possible unique variations.
In my chat with Tahir, he reveals how he overcame his risk-averse nature to become a successful start-up business founder, how customisation has allowed Rozibaby to own a playful and exciting point of difference, and just how important publicity (including a nail biting TV audition) has been for Rozibaby right from its launch.
If you’re somebody with fears about starting in small business, or if you are looking for a way to differentiate yourself from the competition, Tahir has some golden words for you.
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- How Rozibaby co-founder, Roshan Ghadamian, managed to secure a House Husbands TV appearance for his prams.
- Why outsourcing publicity to a PR agency can be a smart move for a start-up business.
- How Google Adwords can be an effective tool for gaining new consumers within a business niche.
- Why surrounding yourself with positive people is both important in business and in life generally.
- Why Rozibaby outsource all of their design work work to a single Ukrainian farmer who designs in his spare time.
- How customisation can be a great tool for establishing a point of difference in the marketplace.
- Why it is not essential for a business to have every element of its offering perfected before launch day.
- The steps that online retailers need to take to ensure that customers feel trust in the online buying process.
- How finding a business partner with complimentary skills can boost your business success.
- Why even people with risk-averse character traits can become successful entreprenuers.
- 5.30 Can’t catch a break with online marketing? Get it SORTED with Netregistry.
- 6.30 I share a success story from Small Business Big Marketing forum member, Christian Mahoney, who is making a big splash in Australian retail.
- 10.00 The beginning of my chat with Tahir Baig, the co-founder of Rozibaby, an online retailer that gives parents the opportunity to pimp their prams.
- 12.00 The opportunity that comes with offering a customisable product to consumers.
- 15.00 How Tahir and his business partner, Roshan, created a perfect balance in their working relationship.
- 22.00 Why Tahir finds it important to surround himself with positive people in a business environment.
- 23.30 Tahir describes the excitement of selling Rozibaby’s first customisable pram.
- 34.00 Where the Rozibaby name came from and why the company uses a Ukrainian farmer for all its graphic design work.
- 36.30 Lessons in assuaging customer fears with a retail business that is 100% online.
- 40.30 The power of Google Adwords to capture new customers within a business niche.
- 45.30 Tahir talks publicity, from Rozibaby TV appearances through to online PR.
- 52.00 Sort out your business’ small design fixes with Swiftly.com.
- 53.00 My top five learnings from chatting with Tahir.
- 55.00 I announce the winner of the $159 Cactus Skincare voucher!
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Rozibaby official website
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- Click PR – Experts in disruptive publicity campaigns
- Swiftly.com – for small design jobs
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!