Warwick Capper was a legend of the Aussie footie field in the 1980’s, and against all the odds, this micro-shorts wearing, mullet adorned footie star has kept himself in the spotlight ever since and is still a household name in Australia. In this week’s somewhat frenetic chat with Warwick, we chat through exactly how he has made his journey to getting paid “6 figures and more and worth every cent” (his words, not mine) to front major marketing campaigns for hotel chains, haircare products, automotive brands, and more besides.
And although Warwick is a massive character who might seem too wacky to have any kind of business head, you certainly can’t be stupid to keep your name on people’s lips for four decades. And I reckon that Warwick could actually teach us all a thing or two about having the confidence to push through and win in business, to seize opportunities as they come along, and to take action every day.
Let’s get into Episode 194 with the man, the legend, Warwick Capper.
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- Just why Warwick Capper wears such teeny tiny shorts.
- Why having the ability to laugh at yourself could propel your business success.
- The importance of being totally honest and transparent with shareholders.
- Why Warwick prefers to put his name to an exisiting brand rather than owning small businesses himself.
- The importance of seizing every opportunity that comes your way and taking action to make things happen.
- How looking on the positive side of every business situation will help you to overcome obstacles.
- Why Warwick doesn’t have his own Youtube channel or podcast.
- How Warwick has leveraged his name to keep him raking in the cash for decades.
- Why confidence counts for so much as an entrepreneur and small business owner.
- 1.45 I get seeded – with toilet paper!
- 5.45 Can’t catch a break with online marketing? Get it SORTED with Netregistry.
- 6.30 I introduce a big theme for this week – taking action. All your research is worthless without it.
- 14.00 Introducing the legend that is Warwick Capper. Not just an AFL legend, but a good bloke who has leveraged his personal brand for decades.
- 16.00 Warwick reckons that his key to success is selling himself and being confident in himself.
- 18.00 Warwick chats through some of his branding exercises and tells me why it is so important to be able to laught at yourself.
- 19.30 I ask Warwick if he attacks his work projects with any kind of business plan or if he wings it.
- 23.00 Warwick talks future ventures – anybody for a piping hot coffee from an outlet of Cappercino? (We see what he did there).
- 24.00 Warwick never misses an opportunity, and we talk over his ability to leverage his brand and really seize those great offers.
- 26.00 Warwick believes in being completely transparent with shareholders, and simply being nice to them.
- 27.00 Our man, Warwick, might have just volunteered to be the face of one of my listener’s clothing brands.
- 29.00 Warwick reveals the secrets behind why he wears such tight shorts.
- 35.00. To succeed in business, Warwick believes that you always have to look for the positive in a situation.
- 40.00 Sort out your business’ small design fixes with Swiftly.com.
- 41.30 My top three takeaways from a rather frenetic chat with Warwick Capper
Here’s (another) wonderful interview that gives you some greater insight in to Caper:
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Warwick Capper ‘s official website
- Book Capper to speak at a corporate event
- Who gives a crap?
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- Swiftly.com – for small design jobs
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!