In this week’s episode, I ask the age old question – Does sex sell? And you will probably be unsurprised to know that the answer is a resounding YES – at least, if your brand is relevant to the occasional flash of flesh. And one brand that certainly is relevant is frank coffee scrub. This unique body scrub made from coffee grinds has been active for just over a year and has had incredible success in that time, in so small part because of the risqué snaps that the brand users post on Instagram and Pinterest. *fans self*
I speak with Jess and Erica, two of five partners of frank coffee scrub, and they talk through their astounding growth to 350,000 Instagram followers, why a little bit of cheekiness never hurt anyone, how they commit to such a strong identity throughout all their branding, and the benefits of having a low price point.
PLUS, I get to grips with feedback from the Small Business Big Marketing forum and give you some pro tips on creating your own podcast. Let’s get started!
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- Why having a strong sense of your brand throughout every touchpoint is vital to business success.
- How you can hand over your content marketing job to your consumers with user generated content.
- Where and how twenty somethings are consuming their media.
- Why sex sells – IF it is relevant to the brand.
- Why being sales focused in your brand messaging might actually turn potential consumers away.
- How reaching out to bloggers and local influencers can be just as effective as celebrity endorsements.
- How Jess and Erica’s business partner found a business niche by looking at coffee grinds in a unique way.
- Why injecting a sense of fun into your business can provide you with great rewards and a point of difference.
- 5.30 A quick tip from Netregistry – use the WordPress CMS to build a great business website.
- 6.30 I answer some forum questions and give my pro tips on starting a podcast.
- 10.00 Introducing Jess and Erica from frank coffee scrub, 2 of 5 partners in a new skincare business.
- 13.30 The opportunity that came from identifying a niche in the market and committing completely to a strong brand identity.
- 15.00 Jess and Erica talk about the importance of making your brand communicate with the same tone of voice through every touchpoint.
- 19.00 The girls talk Instagram strategy and why involving people in creating user generated content is so important for them.
- 21.30 Jess and Erica reveal why Instagram is not all about sales – it’s about building an online community that is fun and enaging.
- 24.00 The girls talk about the labour intensive marketing strategy of reaching out to bloggers and building social media, but why it is better for them than celebrity endorsements.
- 29.00 We talk Facebook, and how gaining traction on this platform is reliant on investment.
- 34.00 The girls talk about their low price point and brand accessibility.
- 35.50 Me and the girls get to grips with the S word. Does sex sell? Evidently it does for frank.
- 37.40 The importance of not flooding your consumer base with sales messages. What do they actually want to hear?
- 42.30 Head over to Swiftly.com for 2000 free online templates!
- 43.00 My top three takeaways from my fireside chat with Jess and Erica.
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- frank coffee scrub official website
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- Swiftly.com – for small design jobs
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!