When Melissa Maker started her Toronto-based, upscale cleaning service, Clean My Space, in 2006, little did she know that a few years down the line, she’d be the leading purveyor of online content in the cleaning niche – and making a bucket load of cash from it to boot! A woman after my own heart, Melissa understands the incredible power that content marketing (AKA helpful marketing) can have for businesses large and small. And if you’re a sceptic, I really hope that by listening to this week’s episode, you’ll be inspired to create your own Youtube Channel, blog series or podcast and start becoming the most helpful person in your industry. Somebody has to be ;0)
In my chat with Melissa, she provides heaps and heaps of powerful marketing learnings that I know we can all learn from. Most importantly, she’s somebody who tried and tried again and never gave up when her video content didn’t see the kind of views she wanted – and that perseverance has paid off massively. Like my guests keep saying on the show, success in business is all about taking ACTION.
Press play and get stuck into Episode 197 of Australia’s #1 marketing podcast. Go!
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- How Melissa Maker diversified her cleaning business and now makes money as a spokesperson and with online content.
- Why there is content marketing to be created in absolutely every niche – no matter how dry or boring you think your business niche might be.
- How entertaining people and making people smile can have a direct impact on your bottom line.
- Why creating content requires determination to see results – but it’s totally worth it in the end.
- The power of letting somebody into your world and creating something that feels authentic with video content.
- How re-purposing your older content across your website and social channels can boost your marketing power.
- How to get people to find you organically via Google search – optimise your content, folks.
- Why engaging in conversations with your audience and consumers is so important in content marketing.
- How Melissa went from 1000 Youtube subscribers after a year of hard graft to landing major appearances on the Today Show.
- Melissa’s favourite room to clean in her house…
- 4.00 I offer one listener a few tips with their video marketing strategy.
- 6.30 Remember to send Netregistry your online marketing questions and they’ll sort you out.
- 11.00 Introducing Melissa Maker, the founder of Clean My Space who reveals that she doesn’t like cleaning at all!
- 12.00 Melissa talks about the two sides of her business: the upscale cleaning service in Toronto, and the online content business.
- 16.45 Melissa tells me about the windows of opportunity that have opened to her since she started content marketing.
- 18.30 The power of creating multiple revenue streams and not putting all your eggs in one basket.
- 21.30 Melissa talks about the importance of a posting schedule for content marketers – people want a regular fix.
- 27.30 Continuing the conversation with your audience via social media replies.
- 30.00 Melissa introduces the 80% of her business you don’t see – her husband.
- 33.30 Melissa talks nerves in front of the camera but why you simply have to get over it.
- 39.30 The process of getting people to find your content organically, via Google Search.
- 42.30 Melissa talks about re-marketing old content, and using Facebook and Google + as channels to promote that content.
- 45.30 Melissa’s advice to anybody who wants to succeed in video content – be authentic and let your audience in.
- 49.45 Sort out your business’ small design fixes with Swiftly.
- 50.30 My top threee takeaways from my fireside chat with Melissa.
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Clean My Space cleaning business in Toronto
- Clean My Space online content
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- Swiftly.com – for small design jobs
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!