When you setback in business you have two choices. Get back on your horse, or give up. The good ones get right back on.
My guest today, Chris Taylor of Actionable Books, has had the odd business setback. And each time he’s been thankful for it and kept on riding. In fact, his latest business venture is a direct result of a business failing. To get back on his horse, Chris committed to reading 52 business books in 52 weeks, applying one lesson from each.
Alas, Actionable Books was founded. And is now a thriving online business, that up until three months ago, was being run out of a cave in Spain!
Chris’ story is a great example of the power that following your dreams and passions can have on your business life. Chris embarked on a mission to read through as many business books as possible while taking learnings from them and posting book summaries on his website – and all to help himself in the small biz learning process.
But he soon found that he could transform these business summaries into a working business model, and he now supplies downloadable business workshops based on a huge range of business books to team leaders all around the world.
If you’ve ever had that fire to leave the corporate world behind and turn your passion into a money making enterprise – this episode is full of marketing GOLD I know you’re gonna love.
Let’s get stuck into Episode 199 of Australia’s #1 marketing podcast!
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- All about the surprisingly decent wifi connections in secluded caves.
- Why it’s so important to be prepared for the worst case scenario and not to let events overwhelm you.
- How, yet again, creating and publishing content on a regular basis is the best way to win the hearts of Google and customers.
- Why content curation might be just as important as content creation.
- How it is possible to have a completely location independent lifestyle with an online business.
- How Actionable Books attracts people to its website in the first place.
- Which business book has had the biggest influence on Chris Taylor.
- How Chris managed to secure interviews with Seth Godin and Gary Vaynerchuck right at the beginning of Actionable Books’ business life.
- Why Chris is deciding to make the leap from video interviews and joining me in the world of podcasting.
- Why you should be reading more business books!
- 2.45 Can’t catch a break with online marketing? Get it SORTED with Netregistry.
- 3.30 I talk tech problems and dealing with the worst case scenario.
- 10.30 Introducing Chris Taylor from Actionable Books who was working from a secluded cave in Spain until just three months ago!
- 15.40 Chris describes the content that is the backbone of his business – summaries of business books.
- 18.30 The content is great – but how does Actionable Books actually make money?
- 19.45 Chris describes his former life in corporate marketing – and his skills at making his team feel valued.
- 22.00 Chris talks product – the digital downloads of workshops that he sells to team leaders all over the world via the internet.
- 23.00 Me and Chris talk SEO and what Chris has done right with his digital footprint over the years.
- 27.30 Chris introduces his “army of volunteers” who now curate content on his behalf.
- 41.30 We chat over a topic dear to my heart – the great power of podcasting!
- 43.00 Chris gives us the inside scoop on the insides of Seth Godin’s and Gary Vaynerchuck’s offices.
- 48.45 Sort out your business’ small design fixes with Swiftly.com.
- 49.30 My top three learnings from chewing the fat with Chris
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Actionable Books official website
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- Swiftly.com – for small design jobs
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!