When Lindsay Spencer-Matthews suffered a breakdown in his thirties, it was clear that something was wrong. But this enabled him to refocus his life and career, study to become a psychologist, and open a booming psychology practice. In fact, Lindsay explains exactly how he managed to get booked solid within just three months of opening shop.
In this week’s fireside chat, Lindsay also shares how he managed to influence decision makers and get past the Dobermans to book out his practice, his strategies for maximising the use of his time, and how he has reduced his patient no-shows from 3.5 per day to 1.8 per week. We manage to fit in more than a couple of Dad jokes along the way.
PLUS I give a listener seven ideas for thanking referrers for their business.
PLUS I share how to get amazing designs done through 99Designs using this exclusive listener offer.
Let’s get started with episode 202 of Australia’s #1 marketing podcast.
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- Why it is so important to “lean in” to whatever you are doing.
- How to manage your time more effectively and achieve great results.
- Why you need to identify the decision makers in order to “get past the doberman”.
- How Lindsay changed his career after suffering a breakdown in his thirties.
- Why thanking your customers is a great idea, but your thank you needs to be heart felt.
- How narrowing your choices can make you a happier person.
- How Lindsay managed to solidly book his psychology practice within 3 months of opening.
- How Lindsay was able to stop “no-shows” from damaging his psychology practice.
- 2.00 My life outside of podcasting as a keynote speaker.
- 4.45 Netregistry can help you to grow your business online.
- 6.00 I answer a listener question about the best way of thanking customers.
- 10.00 Get access to 800,000 designers over on 99designs.com
- 12.00 Introducing psychologist, Lindsay Spencer Matthews, as well as some pretty embarrassing Dad jokes.
- 15.00 Lindsay was a salesperson and didn’t study psychology until he was 36.
- 16.30 When Lindsay had a breakdown and was struck by an epiphany that led him into psychology.
- 24.00 The power of narrowing your choices and leaning in.
- 28.30 Business can’t just be emotional – you need to put some commercial checks in place.
- 31.00 Lindsay’s strategy for “getting past the doberman”.
- 43.30 Issues with compliance and promoting yourself as a psychologist.
- 46.30 There are only 24 hours in a day, but Lindsay manages to use his time very effectively.
- 52.00 Ways that Lindsay has reduced his number of no show patients dramatically.
- 56.30 My top three learnings from my fireside chat with Lindsay.
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Lindsay Spencer Matthews’ psychology practice
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- 99designs – for all kinds of online design jobs
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!