This week’s episode delivers hard proof that absolutely every business niche can deliver their product or service with passion and beauty. Marc Lehmann, a former investment banker, identified that the online accounting software in the marketplace was not designed with small business owners in mind. And so he went back to basics and created a list of the things that small business owners would really want from online accounting software – leaving all the accountancy jargon at the door. Now, that same accountancy software, Saasu, has attracted around 100,000 users monthly.
How does Marc do it? First of all, he completely understands that people are not just investing in a product or service – they are investing in a whole brand ethos and a huge part of that is emotional. “You gotta sell emotion” states Marc. He also makes sure that the people who work for him have an entrepreneurial spirit that gets carried through every aspect of Saasu’s business operations.
For more marketing GOLD from Marc, you know what to do – hit PLAY on Australia’s #1 marketing show!
In this session of Small Business Big Marketing, you’ll discover:
- If Marc Lehman is more of a Bill Gates character or a Steve Jobs character.
- Why it’s a good thing if your employees have other business projects on the side.
- The importance of slowing down using Marc’s “slow code” as an example.
- Why the world used to demand a great price – but now it wants incredible service across every element of a business.
- Why Marc used a “back to basics” approach to build the Saasu software.
- The importance of aesthetics for every business – even an accountancy business.
- When is the best time to stop thinking of your business as a side project and to fully commit?
- 5.00 I answer a listener question about the academics of marketing and how relevant all that stuff is in the “real world” of small business.
- 11.30 Head over to 99Designs for all of your professional design, Plus, you’ll get a free power pack worth $99.
- 12.00 Can’t catch a break with online marketing? Get it SORTED with Netregistry.
- 13.00 We’re having a SBBM Meetup on September 25th in Melbourne. Head over to the Small Business Big Marketing Meetup page for details.
- 14.00 Introducing this week’s guest, Marc Lehmann, a guy who has created his own online accountancy software.
- 16.30 The importance of aesthetics in business – even in accountancy.
- 20.30 Marc’s past as an investment banker.
- 26.00 Developing software by going back to basics and considering what people really want.
- 30.00 Starting a business likes Saasu and how it’s possible to do so while maintaining a full time job in order to minimise risk.
- 32.00 At what point do you jump and make your business a full time venture?
- 38.00 Why Saasu accountancy software is “bespoke by design”.
- 43.00 Looking beyond products and thinking about how customers invest in a whole company ethos.
- 45.00 The importance of employing people with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- 52.00 Marc’s rejection of traditional, above the line advertising.
- 59.30 My top four learnings from chatting with Marc.
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Saasu software – official website
- Netregistry answers your marketing questions for free
- 99Designs – For all your design needs
- Our Small Business Big Marketing Meetup
- The Small Business Big Marketing online community
Enjoy this episode? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!
Click here to visit our Facebook page and leave a comment about the show.
Click here to tell us on Twitter what you thought of the show.
Subscribe to the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Join the Small Business Big Marketing online community
We’re building something big over at the Small Business Big Marketing online community forum. Drop by and say hi – soak up some marketing gold!
Over to you!
Let us know YOUR key takeaways from this episode by leaving a comment below. I personally read and respond to every comment!