Whether you own a bricks and mortar retail business and wondering how to benefit from the massive growth in online retailing; or you have an online E-commerce store, and are wanting to take it to the next level, then you’re going to love this episode.
My guest today is Paul Greenberg (Tweet him here) and he is the grandfather of online retailing. Paul was the co-founder of DealsDirect, a pioneering online department store model that launched in 2004; and he is also Executive Chairman, founder and principal ambassador for NORA – National Online Retailer’s Association.
Listen in and discover:
- The future of online retailing
- What bricks and mortar retailers are getting wrong
- What online retailers are getting right
- How an offline retailer could successfully partner with an online retailer
- The role of customer service and brand and in online retailing
- What Paul would do if he were setting up an online business today
- Plus so much more
Plus I share my learnings from the Great Vic Bike Ride and I tackle a question from a listener who asks:
“I have been listening to your podcasts for the last couple of months and have heard some really good ones. I have got some obscure ideas from some of them. My problem is working out how to implement them into my accounting business. Accounting, and the town I live in, seems to be extremely conservative. I am just trying to work out how to implement some of the marketing options that come from your podcasts. Hopefully I can get the courage to implement some of them soon. I like the idea of being a disturber in the industry.”
Let’s waste no time and get stuck right into episode 217 of Australia’s #1 marketing show. Go!
- 1.45 My learnings from participating in the Great Vic Bike Road
- 13:00 I introduce Paul Greenberg of the National Online Retailers Association
- 16:58 What does the modern world of online retailers mean for offline retailers (and we use Wiggle as the example)
- 20:05 The idea of adding value or getting out of the way
- 21:15 The idea of getting off the high street and moving in to an industrial estate!
- 24:20 Intermediation – the removal of the middle man
- 26:24 The future of department stores – shopping by brand
- 29:20 Multiple touch points
- 32:15 Customer service discussion – Give the wheel to the shopper
- 35:00 Is Paul optimistic about the future?
- 38:02 The importance of email in retail marketing (AKA your digital umbilical cord)
- 40:25 What should you be offering online versus what your customers can get online
- 48:15 Helpful marketing versus amazing marketing
- 48:45 What would Paul do today if he were setting up an online business
- 51:51 My top 5 learnings from my chat with Paul
- 55:10 I tackle a listener question about how to get things done
- 58:44 Marketing quote of the week
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- 99Designs design marketplace: For logo design, brochure design, and more. Grab your exclusive listener upgrade at this link.
- Netregistry: Get your online marketing sorted!
- N.O.R.A. – National Online Retailers Association official website
- How to get stuff done episode
- The how to create magic moments episode
- Join the The Small Business Big Marketing Forum now to listen to the exclusive Q&A I did with Paul
- Crank My Marketing
My Top 5 Learnings
This week’s top five learnings from my chat with N.O.R.A.’s Paul Greenberg:
1. If you’re a retailer then don’t be the middle man – instead, add value, niche down or get out.
2. The best customer service is no customer service. Get out of the way!
3. Get big, get niche or get out!
4. Customers think by brand, not by channel.
5. Email is your digital umbilical cord! Be sure to capture your customers email address in order to develop an ongoing conversation with them.
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.