A slightly different episode today. I have a fireside chat with John Maher, of Carmen’s Road Safety, who’s turned his family’s personal tragedy in to a thriving little passion business that’s making a very big difference.
Seventeen years ago, today’s guest was badly injured in a car accident which put an end to him being a highly successful insurance salesman. Two years later he lost his youngest daughter in a fatal car accident. As you would expect, John (and his family) went through a very dark time, until one day he read an article in the local newspaper reporting that four young people were killed in another car accident.
The fire in his belly was lit, and ever since he’s been travelling the country sharing the message of road safety with school kids and corporates everywhere. In fact, he averages 80 schools per year, and has been nominated in 2013, 2014 & 2015 for the National Australia Day Australian Of The Year awards.
This is an inspiring story of a successful small business owner who experienced devastating personal tragedy, to then rise above it and make a very big difference to the lives of thousands.
Plus I respond to a young listener who’s trying to break in to the world of marketing, I have a whinge about my lack of comments in the shownotes, and I (ever so slightly alter) a marketing quote from Guy Kawasaki ;0)
Yep, it’s another big episode to add to The Small Business Big Marketing Show’s archives.
- 00:29 Welcome and overview of today’s episode
- 02:42 Listener question: How to break in to marketing
- 05:48 Insights in to 99designs from their CEO, Patrick Llewelyn
- 06:47 Timbo has a whinge about the lack of comments left in the show notes
- 10:49 Insights in to Netregistry from their CMO, Verity Meagher
- 12:37 I introduce John Maher of Carmen’s Road Safety
- 12:37 Interview with John Maher
- 32:45 My top 3 learnings from my interview with John
- 34:18 Testimonial from Arn Betteridge of Signature Clothing
- 35:08 Motivational marketing quote of the week
- 36:00 Wrap-up and insight into next week’s guest
Today’s Episode Sponsors (please support them)
Netregistry Get your online marketing sorted!
The Small Business Big Marketing Forum
Resources & links mentioned in this episode
- John Maher of Carmen’s Road Safety – Official website
- John Maher on Twitter
- Get Timbo as your marketing coach
- Need a marketing speaker? Book keynote speaker Tim Reid
Tweetables – Share The Love
My Top 3 Marketing Tips from my chat with John Maher:
- We’ve all got a message to share. It doesn’t have to be an emotional one like John’s – just one that you are passionate about and that can positively impact a core group of people.
- Create a PowerPoint slide-deck. It’s a great way to articulate your message.
- Be on the constant loo out for alternative ways to sell your product or service in to new audiences. John started with schools, and is now working hard at building a corporate audience.
Inspirational Marketing Quote of the Week
“If you have more money than brains, you should focus on outbound marketing. If you have more brains than money, you should focus on helpful marketing.”
Guy Kawasaki & Tim Reid
(I replaced inbound with helpful ;0)
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.