This is an encouraging story of a small business doing big marketing. Not massive marketing. Not ground breaking marketing. Jut good solid marketing following a tried and tested process of getting clear on your brand first, establishing clear messages around what they do and then applying the outcome of that clarity to all future touch points – business name, stationary, signage, website, imagery, social media channels and so on.
Following this process results in:
- The transformation of a business (rational) in to being a brand (emotional).
- A brand that truly represents the owner’s vision for their business.
- A brand that looks the part.
- Consistency across all touch points.
- And most importantly, a new found enthusiasm for the business which transfers across to all staff, clients, suppliers and the extended business family.
The business that has just been through this transformation is Caboodle Financial Services … previously known as Delta Group. What a difference already, huh?!
It’s owner, Peita Dimantidis, recently attended a marketing keynote I gave in Sydney, did a whole lot of reading and then (and most importantly) took a whole lot of action. Swift action without hesitation. As I always say …. action creates reaction. That’s where the magic lies.
If you’re thinking a rebranding of your existing business is in order, then take a listen to how Peita went about it.
Here’s how Peita described the birth of Caboodle from the ground up:
So, the new name and ‘identity’ was done for us by the clever kids at Canvas Group, a graphic design house. They then did the business cards & letterhead, and also came up with icons or ‘stickers’ for us to use on our materials. In fact we are working towards coming up with cute quotes like ‘Get your kit sorted’ to have on stickers to use on envelopes instead of getting the envelopes printed. This lets us use the one we feel is most appropriate for the client.
We then took this and went a bit berserk using the tools you had given us:
- The Facebook page was first, via a design contest on 99 Designs ($100 I think)
- I then used the same designer to come up with the Caboodle TV background for YouTube (I provided them with the icons Canvas had done as direction)
- I ordered the lego intro video on Fiverr ($5)
- I then also got the same designer to do the web banner along the top of our website ($200 incl Caboodle TV background)
- The remainder of the website I did myself in Squarespace ($20 a month)
- The videos of me I edited in iMovie from a video Vanguard did of me last year
- The images of the team on the website were done by Jemore Santos who we had for a whole day do both inside more normal business shots as well as the outside crazier ones!!
PLUS in this episode I give an update on what’s happening with my last guests dream of getting a date with Kylie Minogue; and I’ve found out why Seth Godin declined to come on The Small Business Big Marketing Show (and it’s encouraged me to not give up). I think he misinterpreted what my show was all about … and my role in the mix.
Links & Resources Mentioned In This Episode.
Netregistry – Check out these three exclusive packages for SBBM Listeners. Each one designed by myself and Netregistry to help get your online marketing sorted.
Peita’s website: Here’s the new Caboodle website.
Put your business under the Small Business Big Marketing Spotlight and watch your marketing boom.
The marketing keynote I gave was similar to this one, although it went for an extra hour!
Here’s my new website promoting me as a marketing speaker.
Here’s where to join the Small Business Big Marketing Meetup group.
Join the marketing discussion beyond my podcast …
For in-depth marketing discussion, join the Small Business Big Marketing LinkedIn Group.
See the lighter side of marketing on the Small Business Big Marketing Facebook Page.
Receive small business marketing tips on the Small Business Big Marketing Twitter feed.
Leave a review for Small Business Big Marketing in iTunes. It’s a rankings thing ;0)
I’ve personally created these marketing training products in response to listener feedback …
Site Boost – Discover the characteristics of a successful website.
Spotlight – I create an exclusive podcast episode solving the marketing challenges of your business.