Tony Nash started Booktopia with a budget of $10 a day and it took him 3 days to sell his first book. He now runs an $87 million successful online retailing empire with 125 employees, they have over 750,000 items in stock, they sell 1 item every 8 seconds and in 2014 he won Telstra’s award for medium-sized business of the year.
To make sure he was the real deal I ran his name by our resident online business expert, Paul Greenberg from the National Online Retailers Association to ensure that Tony would live up to the hype. Paul said that:
“Tony is a bit like a bumblebee. Where he technically shouldn’t be able to fly against the likes of Amazon but not only has he flown he’s soared!”
In this episode of Australia’s number 1 marketing show we cover:
- The key pillars of search engine optimisation (SEO) that are as true today as they were 15 years ago.
- How we’re still in the early throws of this whole ‘internet’ thing… Seriously!
- The ‘Entrepreneurial Mindset’.
- How to change your focus to abundance and stop worrying about those bills once and for all.
- How to be philanthropic while remaining true to (even building) your brand.
Also in this episode I discuss why I had no ‘hoo ha’ about episode 300 and a helpful marketing learning that you can take from it as well.
00:33 Welcome & overview
00:00 Guest introduction – Tony Nash of Booktopia
07:55 Interview – Part 1
26:35 Insights into Netregistry & Key Person Of Influence
28:48 Interview – Part 2
54:31 My Top 6 Attention Grabbers
56:57 Marketing Quote
57:24 Listener Feedback
59:19 Wrap-up & insights into next week’s guest
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
Buy Timbo’s new marketing text book The Boomerang Effect
MY TOP 6 ATTENTION GRABBERS
- Take heed of the four points Tony made that will lead you to being on page one of Google for keyword searches. If you need reminding of the detail, then re listen to episode 262 with Rand Fishkin of MOZ.
- While we’re at it, size does matter on the Internet. The more pages your website has the better. That’s where helpful marketing kicks in. So buy my book!
- Focus on sales. Not the bills! Have a mindset of abundance.
- Embrace the entrepreneurial mindset. Take an attitude of ‘bring it on!’. And in doing so, clip the highs and lows.
- Consider integrating a philanthropic program into your business. And in doing so, make it strategically relevant. Booktopia help improve the literacy levels of under-privileged Australians.
- Read more!
EPISODE SPONSORS (PLEASE SUPPORT THEM)
Netregistry Exclusive Listener Offers
Get your online marketing sorted. Websites from $79 / month.
Register for a Key Person Of Influence Business Brand Accelerator Live Event
8-hours of business-changing content. No BS.
Choose a FREE audiobook from 180,000 title
What are you up for? Business? Horror? Romance? It’s all here.
INSPIRATIONAL MARKETING QUOTE
Stephen Denny once said …
“If dogs don’t like your dog food,
the packaging doesn’t matter”
OVER TO YOU
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from today’s episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every one.