For every business owner, upping engagement levels with consumers should be an absolute priority. If this is something that you need a bit of guidance with, this week’s guest, Jon Yeo, has some golden words for you. Jon is the curator of TEDx Melbourne, Melbourne’s local offshoot of TED.com (the website that brings video talks of ideas worth spreading to the world). TEDxMelbourne events get bums on seats AND they get people talking – in the last year alone, the events garnered 2 million social media mentions.
How does Jon do it? By knowing the ins and outs of his target audience (not just abstract demographic info), by creating relevant and engaging content consistently, and crucially, by speaking to his audience on their own level. Jon believes that we should be speaking with our target audience, not to them, and I couldn’t agree more.
Plus, I share three incredible success stories from the Small Business Big Marketing Forum, and end the show with my favourite Inspirational Quote of The Week yet. Let’s get stuck right into another episode of Australia’s #1 marketing show!
- 2.30 I share an epic win from the Small Business Big Marketing forum that showcases why injecting personality into business is so important.
- 4.50 Another win from the forum – this time a book cover design courtesy of a 99Designs contest.
- 8.00 How Leanne from resistitbands.com got her publicity into gear by being proactive.
- 10.00 Some actionable tips for gaining publicity for your small business.
- 12.30 Hitting a wall with setting up a website or SEO? Get in touch with Netregistry pronto.
- 13.30 Introducing Jon Yeo, the volunteer curator of TEDxMelbourne.
- 16.30 What is TED anyway?
- 20.00 Exploring the power of economy through short, succinct bursts of content.
- 23.30 The importance of content not just being high quality, but also shareable.
- 25.00 Why TED is an organisation for thought leaders and people with big imaginations.
- 27.00 How does Jon choose the speakers who end up on the TEDxMelbourne stage?
- 32.00 An inside look at Jon’s very own Speech Development Programme.
- 36.00 Why business owners need to do more than tick the boxes. Inject your personal style into your marketing.
- 40.00 How does Jon get bums on seats for TEDxMelbourne events?
- 49.00 The importance of getting out of your comfort zone once in a while.
- 52.00 My top five takeaways from chatting with Jon.
- 55.45 Inspirational quote of the week!
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- TED.com: the official website
- TEDxMelbourne: the official website
- Jon’s favourite TED talk: Weird, or just different? by Derek Sivers
- My favourite TEDx talk: A shark-deterrent wetsuit, by Hamish Jolly
- Ep 197 – The power of content, with Melissa Maker
- A cool video from comedian, Chris Rock.
- Netregistry: Get your online marketing sorted!
- www.99Designs.com/sbbm: For logo design, brochure design, and more. Grab your exclusive listener upgrade at this link.
- Join the The Small Business Big Marketing Forum today!
- Transcription Services provided by GMR Transcription
My Top 5 Learnings
This week, I have FIVE top learnings from my chat with John:
1. Be relevant and engaging. Create marketing that speaks to consumers on their own level.
2. Understand your prospects really well. Find out about their lives, not just broad demographic info.
3. Don’t speak at your audience, speak with them. Create two-way conversations for dynamic engagement.
4. Go to a TEDx event in your area, and open your mind.
5. Take a public speaking course. Public speaking has boosted my business, and it could do the same for yours.
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.