Scott Kilmartin loves ice-cream. In fact, he’s on a mission to build Australia’s (maybe the world’s) most beautiful and impressive ice cream truck. Her name is Grace the Vintage Ice Cream Truck, and she’s Scott’s next big business idea.
Scott originally appeared on The Small Business Big Marketing Show way back in episode 14 when he was the owner and founder of Haul. Since then he’s sold Haul, travelled the world and dived deep into his passion – ice cream, visiting 173 ice cream shops in 8 countries, finishing with Gelato school in Rome. As you do!
Having done the hard yards in market research, Scott returned to Melbourne to start an ice cream cart business, but where it gets really interesting is when he buys a 50-year old delivery van with the dream of turning it into Australia’s best ice cream truck. $100k plus later, his dream (Grace the vintage Ice Cream Truck) is nearly realised. Nearly! In fact, for the first 20 minutes of the show we’re recording sitting inside the old girl!
[Tweet “Inspiring stuff. @ScottKilmartin is on a mission to create an amazing ice cream truck experience” #enterpenuer]
I think you’re going to love this chat, Scott’s enthusiasm for what he’s doing and sheer willingness to roll up his sleeves and get stuff done is infectious. Plus there’s some solid business and marketing learnings along the way.
We cover a tonne of marketing ground in this show including:
- End to end customer experience
- The power and importance of design … again!
- The psychology of crowd funding
- Why having fun in business is so important
- The power of storytelling and how to use it in business
Here’s Scott’s crowdfunding video:
Also in this episode of your favourite marketing podcast …
- I share a simple 3-step process for optimisong your customers’ ah-ha moment in our most popular segment lovingly called What Have You Got To Lose?
- And we go back into the Small Business Big Marketing vault, revisiting a past episode in which I caught up with The Cuddlist Adam Lippin who says ‘we’re sex obsessed but touch deprived’.
Yep, you guessed it, another big episode, so let’s get stuck, right in.
00:00 Two marketing insights
01:47 Welcome & overview
03:30 How to optimise your customers’ ah-ha moment
06:33 Insights into Workplace Assured
07:54 Today’s guest introduction – Scott Kilmartin
10:10 Interview with Scott Kilmartin – Part 1
48:10 Insights into Key Person of Influence
49:38 Interview with Scott Kilmartin – Part 2
01:13:07 My Top 3 Attention Grabbers from my chat with Scott Kilmartin
01:14:47 Wrap-up and an insight in to both a past guest & next week’s guest
MY TOP 3 MARKETING ATTENTION GRABBERS
- If you’re passionate enough about something, then there will always be a way and someone to help you along.
- Ask yourself how you could use crowdfunding to raise money for your current business, or maybe even, next business idea? Check out sites like Indiegogo, Pozzible or Go Fund Me and see what businesses like yours are doing.
- Hustle. Scott’s ability to hustle is inspiring. He rolls his sleeves up and gets stuff done.
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
Workplace Assured – Worry less about your employer obligations
Check out their FREE advice line for employers
Key Person of Influence – Become highly valued & highly paid
Grab a FREE hard or audio copy of their Amazon best-seller.
OVER TO YOU …
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from this episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every comment.