Imagine selling toilet paper online using a subscription-based pricing model. Oh, and calling it Who Gives A Crap. Oh, and sitting on a toilet for 50-hours to raise $50,000 in crowd-funding donations resulting in some permanent muscle damage. Oh yeah, and helping save the world along the way. Big ask? Damn right, it is. But my guest today is absolutely up for the challenge.
Social entrepreneur Simon Griffiths of online toilet paper brand Who Gives A Crap (Tweet him here) is a man on a mission. In 2007, after turning down his dream job offer as a corporate high-flyer, Simon moved from Australia to South Africa to immerse himself in his true passion: development aid. There he discovered that the biggest problem faced by NGOs and social entrepreneurs is a lack of funding. Since then he has launched three social businesses of his own, all focused on revolutionising the way society thinks about and engages in philanthropy. Simon’s latest venture is an ethical home products company. Its flagship product is Who Gives A Crap, an environmentally friendly toilet paper that uses 50% of its profits to build toilets in the developing world.
Listen in and discover:
- The correct way to hang your toilet paper ;0)
- What it means to be a social entrepreneur
- The concept of consumer-driven philanthropy
- How the Who Gives a Crap toilet paper brand was born
- Plus discussion around successful crowd funding, viral video creation, subscription business models
- Plus plenty more
I also tackle a question from a listener about how to find guests for his new podcast
Let’s waste no time and get stuck right into episode 218 of Australia’s #1 marketing show. Go!
- 1:14 I share how having a broken arm has impacted positively on my work
- 3:23 A listener asks a question about how to find guests for his new podcast
- 7:13 A reminder about the exclusive listener offer from 99Designs
- 8:47 A reminder about how to get your online marketing sorted with Netregistry
- 9:32 Introducing today’s guest – Simon Griffiths of Who Gives A Crap
- 12:24 Big opening question: I ask Simon if he hangs his toilet paper over or under
- 13:25 Simon talks about taking his pants off on the TEDx stage
- 14:26 Why Simon chose to become a social entrepreneur
- 19:05 The day Simon had an epiphany and Who Gives A Crap was born
- 20:53 Consumer driven philanthropy discussion
- 23:07 What are Gen Y thinking when it comes to choosing brands to buy
- 26:44 What is Who Gives A Crap toilet paper, and how does the business work?
- 28:49 How Simon went about crowd-funding the idea
- 30:20 How Simon generated $1M of publicity through a simple video stunt
- 36:11 Where is Who Gives A Crap now?
- 36:30 Selling toilet paper online
- 38:25 Talking about the subscription model
- 40:33 The importance of a low poke through rate!
- 42:05 Why don’t more people know about Who Gives A Crap?
- 45:05 Getting a video to go viral
- 49:15 My top 3 learnings
- 51:14 Small Business Big Marketing Forum update on a Speaking From Stage webinar that was run this week plus other marketing questions being asked
- 53:06 Marketing quote of the week
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
- 99Designs design marketplace: For logo design, brochure design, and more. Grab your exclusive listener upgrade at this link.
- Netregistry: Get your online marketing sorted!
- Who Gives A Crap online store – Buy their toilet paper here
- Simon Griffith’s TEDx talk
- 6 Reasons To Test facebook Ads For Your Business
- Other interviews mentioned:
- Join the The Small Business Big Marketing Forum now to listen to the exclusive Q&A I did with Paul
- Crank My Marketing – Join the Forum
My Top 3 Learnings
This week’s top five learnings from my chat with Who Gives A Crap’s Simon Griffiths:
1. The subscription model is a great way to do business
2. Give some thought to what the viral video would be for your business
3. Encourage word-of-mouth
Over to you!
Let me know YOUR #1 takeaway from this episode by leaving a comment below.
My guest and myself personally read and respond to every comment.ives a ccrap, All you can do everything. Our writers are well-educated professionals, competent in different fields of studies. At our team created this service. All you can do is send us a request “Do my paper for me”, and much more! Every student knows how difficult writing a request “Do . writing a paper for college All you need to ask someone “Please, write my paper”, provide necessary information about your assignment immediately! We can buy papers online; our site you just want to fulfill this wish our site you just want to do everything. Our writers are well-educated professionals, competent in different fields of .