How’s this. Two market researchers get the taste for beer. Craft beer. So, what did they do? They escape the cubicle and start a business from a self-storage facility. Soon enough they’ve opened up Beer Cartel, a bottle shop in an industrial estate selling 1,100 types of their favourite beers.
Before Richard Kelsey escaped the corporate cubicle he was working as a market researcher, which actually set him up with the exact skill set he and his business partner (Geoff) needed in order to launch Beer Cartel – an online / offline retail proposition selling 1.100 craft beers.
Listen in as Richard talks about:
- The importance of walking in your customers’ shoes (how often do we hear this? It’s gotta be true!)
- How to get the balance right between online and offline sales
- How to create a compelling customer experience
- Plus plenty more
Cheers, big ears!!
00:37 Welcome & overview
02:55 A new way to send me your biggest marketing question
04:22 Today’s guest introduction – Richard Kelsey of Beer Cartel
06:00 Interview with Richard Kelsey of Beer Cartel – Part 1
23:48 Insights in to 99Designs & Netregistry
25:39 Interview with Richard Kelsey of Beer Cartel – Part 2
32:07 My top 3 marketing learnings fro my chat with Richard Kelsey of Beer Cartel
34:41 Motivational marketing quote of the week
34:54 Wrap-up and insights in to next week’s guests
EPISODE SPONSORS (PLEASE SUPPORT THEM)
Netregistry special offer – Get your online marketing sorted. Websites from $79 / month.
99Designs free coupon – Get a design you’ll love. in 7-days. 100% guaranteed.
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
(GO ON, SHARE THE LOVE, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO)
MY TOP 3 MARKETING TIPS FROM THIS EPISODE
- Walk in your customers’ shoes. Don’t just pay lip service to it.
- Stop waiting for all the ducks to be lined up. They never will. Richard started in a self-storage shed – he didn’t wait to get a fancy office or warehouse.
- Identify your business’s personality and live it throughout all touch points. What are those 4 personality traits that you’d love prospects to use when describing your business? Share them with all marketing contributors.
INSPIRATIONAL MARKETING QUOTE
“It’s amazing what you can accomplish if you don’t care who gets the credit.”
Harry S Truman
OVER TO YOU …
What was your biggest marketing learning or ah-ha moment from this episode?
Leave your comment below.
My guest and I respond to each and every comment.